Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am home and recovering from the surgery last Tuesday.

My surgery was nearly 4 hours. I don't know what was found or why it took so long he had told me it should take about 1.5 hours. I had a nice reaction to the IV antibiotic in the pre=op. They call it red mans sydrome (not sure if that was a joke or not). I was itching like crazy on my head.

I felt pretty good as soon as I woke up. I am sure they gave me better pain meds and anti nausea meds while I was still coming out of it. So the first couple of hours I was up and about. When those meds were out of my system the trouble started. I was given a morphine pump and I was throwing up all night. The night nurses were not so good. Here I am crying and puking and asking for them to call my doctor for new meds and I got nothing but an empty smile amd a "yeah we might have to".... My IV blew out, so they had to put in another one. They didn't read my chart so they didn't know that I have allergies to certain adhesives... I recieved a reallt nice rash from the new IV.

The power for my bed kept going out so I had the maintenence man in my room every few hours... It was truely aweful. OH yeah the TV kept loosing cable service as well.

I cried uncrontolably for a couple of hours around shift change. Thankfully the new nurse took pitty on me. I had stopped using the morphine pump due to nausea so she hooked me up with a powerful anti nausea med that helped me sleep and some percocet and valium. She was a great nurse. Aftet a couple hours of sleep I felt much better. I asked to be discharged and came home with Percocet and flexerile.

I am not using a collar and my neck doesn't hurt too much. The muscle spasms are the worst. I actually feel like I have more range of motion than I did before. My throat is a little sore still, I also get some weird pains in my shoulders but all of the nerve pain is gone.

I have been sleeping in my bed. Last night I think was the best night so far. I think I actually slept for 6 hours straight.

That is it in a nutshell.



  • So glad you are home and doing OK. I am going tomorrow for my ACDF so we will see how that goes. I just got the call that I got pushed back to 2 so that should be fun. Right now I cant even think, I am more nervous now than with my lumbar fusion,lol.

    Take Care of yourself!

  • Julie,

    Sorry to hear about the troubles you had during your stay. But now the good news and your home and on the road to recovery, just take it easy and follow the surgeons restrictions and hopefully soon this will all be behind you. Take care.

    Good luck tomorrow on surgery as well and post when you can with a update.
  • I'm sorry you had such a hard time in the hospital but i'm glad that your feeling better now.I remember after my surgery standing up for the first time without all the nerve pain.I remember thinking my surgeon was a miracle worker.I gave him the biggest hug ever,it was like he had saved my life.Isn't it wonderful not to have the pain anymore.I hope you continue to feel better as time goes on. Please let us know how your making out.
  • You've been through so much recovering post-op. Nice to hear you're sleeping better at home in your own bed. Take care and hope you heal completely from your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Today I took just Tylenol and drove my daughter to see Alice then we went to Wallyworld and wasted money. This was a very short trip. I started out with my soft collar (NS for driving only). I took it off when we got to the movies.

    All in all it was maybe 7 mile round trip with 2 stops. When I got home I took a Norco & flexerile. My neck feels sore but much better than it was :O)

    I see my NS tomorrow for the wound check and I am going to ask him why I am partially blind in my left eye. The lid has been swollen all week, eye is red, I have limited vision now and it is blurry. I can only wonder what they did to my eye?

    I am still not sleeping GREAT, but it seems to get better each night.


  • I'm glad to hear you're feeling better but am worried about your eye. I'm anxious to hear what the NS says about it.

    I think you're doing GREAT considering how soon you're out from surgery. I'm very happy for you, but please don't overdo and give yourself a setback. It's easy to do when you're feeling good and the meds are working.

    Please let us know what the NS says. I'll be keeping my eye on this post.
  • I only was seen by the nurse yesterday. They removed my bandage and I was surprized that there was no stitches under it. I don't think I will have a scar at all.

    I also picked up my STD paperwork - the nurse faxed it with NO DATES in January? I just know they will require that I get the paper work redone. The nurse added some of the dates while I was there, but specificially left out some portions. Do you think I should fill them in?

    The NS says 6 weeks of no work, and then he says PT work after 6 weeks> confused yet? I am.

    The good news was I went most of the day yesterday with no meds. The bad news is today is a bad pain day. I think I need to just stay home and rest but unfortunately my husband needs me to go shopping with him for a few things so he is dragging me to Costco shortly.

    My left arm is sore and my left shoulder hurts (not like before). I am still having trouble sleeping comfortably and I am waking up hurting. I think I need to set an alarm at night to wake me evry 4 hours for meds.

    Feeling better, but not out of the woods yet.


  • glad you aree doing good. please dont over do it. thata frustrating with the dates, every time i ask get different answers fromthe docs too. i cant seem to get past the heartburn. this is going to drive me crszy. i choked on tea, seems all i get down ok is smoothie consistancy. does that sound right?

  • My numbness and all of my discomfort was gone as soon as I woke from surgery. I am less than 3 weeks out. I do have a lazy eye (Horners Syndrome) now but they tell me it may get better or I can have it fixed. I also get muscle spasms and mechanical pain when my meds wear off and I over do it. I am taking 10 mg of Norco and 10 mg of Flexerile every 4-6 hours- subbing extra strenght tylenol when I have to. I have been driving lightly (with out meds) and trying to resume some aspects of my life almost daily. My NS ended up working on me for nearly 4 hours to remove the disc material in my spinal canal (I am thinking he did a pretty good job). I was given a soft collar but rarely use it. I feel like I have more range of motion now than before.
Sign In or Register to comment.