Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Much Time Needed For Recovery For ACDF -c5/c6- Please Advice!

TrevorTTrevor Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
All,

Thanks for all the supoort and advice for my previous post.
I am schedule to go back to work thursday. I am 4 week post op acdf c5/c6 with peek. So far, I am doing well. The neck pain i had after surgery have signifcantly decrease and hardly there. However, the pain in the left shoulder which is muscular in nature is still there, though getting better slowly. I am wodering if I am going back to work too early and if this will set me back. I commute about 2 1/2 daily. My job is sitting in the office in front of a computer.Nothing manual. I am thinking two week additional rest will do me well and afraid I am going back too early. Don't know how to approach my job abouth this. Will there be consequenses if I request more time? My Doc is OK with allowing me stay home for an additional two weeks. Please advice...Thanks all. You guys are the best!

God Bless

Trevor
advertisement

Comments

• I would say definitely you need another two weeks. How about saying to your employer that coming back too soon may put you out of work even longer than the two weeks. You have a doctor's note verifying you need more time.

Best wishes,

Marianne
  • back to work after 4 weeks i dont think its a good idea,the problem i had was that i didnt know i was doing to much till the pain started then it was to late
    only you know if you feel up to it but i would say atleast another week off then go back part time to start with, your employer should back you 100 percent. TAKE IT EASY AND DONT RUSH wayne
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I did well returning to work at about 6 1/2 weeks post-op. Those 2 additional weeks really do make a difference.

6 weeks is considered the standard for your type of job (when I did STD claims we'd approve 6 weeks of disability easily without question). If you can push it two more weeks before returning I recommend it. And, maybe consider 1/2 day back the first day, then 6 hours the second day and hopefully to a full day by day 3 (all depends on how understanding your employer is)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Trevor,

Just thought I would pop in and see how it is going? I am guessing you have been back to work for a bit now, and hoping that aside from a little muscle stiffness (sitting constant at work vs resting and moving as desired at home), you are doing good? Just letting you know I am thinking of you. Take care. *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement