Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on seeing a doctor and feeling no hope.

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi I just got back from seeing a Nero Surgeon in Oregon. He was nice but I must say I left in tears he was telling me there is no hope. I had so many surgeries that it has caused so much nerve damage.The Thoracic discs in my back that herniated there really is not much they can do.He said that is not what is causing my chest pain and me having a hard time breathing I find that interesting since every time a Thoracic disc herniated those where the symptoms that hit ,one feeling like I am having a heart attack and the other feeling like my chest is being crushed and cant breath. He is checking to see if I have an extra rib and is going to do a EMG on the nerves to see if any are pinched. Other then that they will send me to a pain clinic. I left there is tears feeling no hope left. Tired of pain and drugs I hate drugs. Just feeling discouraged. As in what is the point of fighting anymore.

Then I get a call from social security disability telling me I might lose my disability and I broke down just a mess cause I can not work and I am suppose to have foot surgery April 1st. I a afraid of that surgery too and do not want to go through with it because of all the bad things that came from all the surgeries I have had.

Jesus is my only hope I need a miracle.

• So sorry to hear this. I can't imagine why your disability would be discontinued. I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Best wishes,

• Did SSD give you any reason why you might lose your disability. And as much as seeing Pm DR If you get the right one he can and will help you out. My PM Dr was heaven sent. He willing to listen to what I have to say.He was there for me when all the other Dr threw up their hand and told me there nothing else they could do.

• Sorry this happened to you, hang in there, I believe in miracles, sometimes they aren't what we expect though, but they are miracles none the less.
  • It is such a shame that this doctor left you with a feeling of "no hope". Perhaps surgery is not an option for your thoracic herniations, but there are many things you can continue to try, which might help to ease the pain.

Adequate pain control would be number one on my list, so I'm glad he is referring you to a PM doctor.

Sometimes you have to revisit certain exercises along the way, in an attempt to strengthen your core muscles. It has been my experience that aqua therapy is the best type of exercising for thoracic pain. Grabbing a noodle, wrapping it around your back and just floating... is exercise and it helps to relieve thoracic pain. Walking is also important, but sometimes more painful to do... even with the assistance of our walkers. Holding onto the walkers can produce additional unwanted pain in our hands and arms. Heating pads and wraps help to ease thoracic pain. Gentle, very gentle, massage can also help.

We have to keep our minds open to any kind of pain relief that is out there and give them all a try. What works for others, may not work for us... but we don't stop looking for additional pain relief.

I understand not liking to take pills. I really do! I feel like I have my own pharmacy going on over here and I know many members feel the exact same way. I'm thankful we have relief through pills, otherwise, I would have no quality of life. The pain would be excrutiating without my medication. I would probably become very unhealthy, if it were not for pills... as I would be tossing my cookies all day long. I would become dehydrated very quickly.

What happened with the social security call? Did the representative indicate what had transpired? We have a couple of members who have dealt with social security issues in their professional line of work. They may be able to lend an ear and give you some helpful advice.

Hang tight to your faith... and never give up hope.

Saying prayers for you and hope tomorrow is a brighter day,

• I believe in miracles...and I also believe that Jesus is my only hope, in all of the important things in this life.

Can you get a second opinion? and maybe a third? I wouldn't take just one surgeon's pronouncement that there's nothing that can be done for you.

As for losing your disability, I can't imagine how they could just yank that away. They would have to give you a reason for the action and surely you could appeal the decision. If there truly is nothing else that can be done for you (and that's still to be determined) then you can prove the need for the disability benefits.

Will keep you in my prayers! :hug:

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • This was my third opinion. So I have seen many doctors. I know the Lord and I have experienced several miracles and know first hand the Lord can heal but for what ever reason in this situation He has not thus far but I trust and believe He is with me through all of this even though I fall apart and just cry.

Thanks for all your love and support. I need all the prayers I can get.

May hugs to all you beauituful people.

• At least this Dr. is looking for nerve involvement by ordering the EMG although what will he do with the results? Taking it one day at a time and keeping the faith knowing there is always hope up ahead. Ask him with the test results if your spine is stable? Saying a prayer for you also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN