Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spring - A new beginning

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
For those of us that live in areas that experience the 4 seasons, I always want to talk about SPRING.

After dealing with the Cold, the Snow, the Ice, the Wind and much more, the thought of Spring and what it means can be so uplifting.

I know personally, I am at my worst during the winter. Not just in terms of medical/physical status, but in emotional ways. So many times, I feel like the ole Grizzly bears, that during winter go into the caves to hibernate. That can describe me. I go into slow motion, I am not energetic, I put off more and more for tomorrow what could be done today.

But, as Spring comes around, I like that ole Grizzly starts to come out of his cave. Shaking off all the inactivity of winter and gearing up.

A new life, a new beginning. Spring to me does that and so much more. The ground comes alive. And I love my property, the lawn, the shrubs, the flowers and our herbal garden.

While this is a time to get ready for so much new, its also a time of Warning!

I know one of members I respect and have enjoyed to get to know is Debbie (Sunny1966) understands this oh so much!
Both of us, see the outdoors, the new life outside and we tend to forget out medication situation and run about doing everything we can!

But what happens? I know with Debbie and with myself, we just welcome Flare ups and pain that we could have avoided.

So, this is more a less a Warning to everyone,
Please do not over do things, do not exceed or ignore your restrictions. If we do too much, we just invite problems, and those problems are not only ours, they also impact our loved ones
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• So true I love shaking off that old winter blues and light up even just taking a little walk in the sun. I can't wait for my new garden to produce some lovely poppies given to me by a neighbor who even planted them for me on the bare side of our house. Time for spring cleaning too and you're right we have to be careful and not overdo things ie: washing windows etc. Happy Spring Everyone. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This winter I chose to have a fusion done. I did this knowing that it would be painful and might not relive all of my pain.

I am/was an avid gardener. I love flowers, maybe not the most masculine thing to most but, the beauty of a blossom and the fragrance of flowers are akin to the allure the opposite sex holds for me.

I am not only in physical pain, but I also am wrestling mentally with what my life has become and/or will be. I regret that over the past 3 years most of my flower beds reflect the lack of attention my medical problems have forced upon me.

Today was a particularly bad day for me physically and mentally. I took my walk in between the rain that has and is here for the week. I was not able to walk the normal hour as my pain was too severe. The last thing I did as I reached my house was to walk around the side to an area that has crocuses.

Despite my pain and the fact that all the flowers were closed due to the rain and overcast sky, they were there. I thought that i could go over and remove some of the leaves and debris that had accumulated over the winter to assist the crocuses, but that would require some BLT.

The point of my rambling is the same as Ron's, knowing my limitations. There is also another point that i would also like to point out.

Maybe the blossoms were closed for the day, as it was not a "beautiful" day, but they were there and they will open despite my pain or the overcast sky, both of which quite possible will be improved by tomorrow.

So as you read this you may not feel the epiphany that I had, but you may remember to pace yourself for you physical and mental state. Those crocuses were ok without my bending or lifting or twisting, and just like my lack of happiness today they were closed, but there is always a tomorrow and I hope it is better than today.
  • Northern Hemisphere buddies, us down South are into Autumn (which is equally as beautiful as spring).
    The mornings are getting colder, but i'm fine with that as i'm not so great with heat anyway.
    May your flowers bloom and your bloomers blossom :D
    and your days filled with pain free sunshine!
  • I have been an passionate gardener for about 20 years now. My favorites are perennial gardens and vegetable gardens, with heirloom tomatoes being a favorite.

Yesterday it was nice outside, though still under a snowcover. I caught myself with all of my "want to do's" and "have to do's" and remembered how I am going to need to change the way I do things and what I do. I'm hoping my girls will take a bit of interest and help, and I know a friend's 11 year old son would love to help. He misses his grandfather and they loved to garden together.

I can totally relate to you Ron, getting through the winter is tough, both mentally and physically. I also tend to hibernate and can't wait to start feeling my "spring self" come out!

Thanks for the remimder to be careful while doing something we love so much.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm guilty! It has been so warm and sunny here for the past four days and I've taken in all of the sunshine I could. Unfortunately the flare you mention is in full swing now. In my defense though, I feel so good while digging, raking, pruning that it's good mental therapy for me. I hurt so bad these past days that I would keep telling myself to stop. Then I'd tell myself that I could do it and should be able to do it. I'm in denial I know but as everyone here knows it's so hard to give up doing what we love. Moderation is the key as you say Ron. I know that you'll be doing all you can do before you have your shoulder surgery. I know you know your limits but when that warm sun shines on us we have to get our hands dirty. It's okay though. We'll just start sitting on the porch more often and watching the gardens grow. I am trying to learn to do things differently because I HAVE to definitely not because I WANT to.
    I hope you're having a great day my friend.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    7" of snow on my deck and rising. I can only wish for spring! And yesterday was beautiful. Now whats up with that!
    It's like I'm at the starting gate and when it starts to open, and I try to make my run. Someone closes it quickly!
    Jim :O ~X(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    =)) You always make my day! As long as the gate doesn't knock you down it's okay. lol.
    This is just teasing sunshine and warm weather here too. It is usually cold until about the middle of May. Next week I may be seeing snow again also. Gotta take the good with the bad...whether we like it or not.
    Hope the snow melts soon and you get some much needed sun.
    Hope you're still doing okay.
  • I so look forward to Springs for all the reasons Ron said. (And yes, I also tend to overdo when I feel revitalized.)

But I'm also looking forward to fruit, salads with a grilled chicken breast, eating alfresco underneath the awning, sun tea, smelling the freshly mowed lawn, and watching Wally run around and basking in the sunshine. And those thunderstorms that come rolling in to refresh everything and then go away, leaving everything smelling and looking so clean and fresh. Ahhhh, Spring.

It's cold today where I am and the barometric changes are just killing me. I'm just so anxious for warm weather. Bring it on!

• Now I didn't even have to go outside to over do it. The temperature changes got me thinking of spring clothes. So i decided i was done with winter and time for the spring clothes to come out. So on my way about rearranging the closet spring/summer clothes to the front and winter to the back. That was just a bad idea all the way around to think that could be done in a day. But I might add my closet looks really nice, and have some nice things to wear. Now I just need to feel like putting them on and going some place. At least I can say good bye winter see you next year and I won't mind to terrible much if you don't want to visit me. Tell Mr snow I am really not fond of the company and it is okay to skip me from here on out. The cold hearted witch ms Ice can stay away I rather prefer warm and friendly. Also wind chill is being removed and being replaced with heat index from here on out. But mr winter if you next come visit me next year please leave your buddies at home. Really we don't get along so well, at all.
  • I like winter to come after a long hot summer here in West Tennessee, but I sure do welcome the cool morning temps and warm afternoons of spring. I too like gardening and have neglected my so called flower bed. My prized possession is a yellow rose bush that's grown to be 6' in two years. I look forward to the spring mornings that I can sit out on the porch with my coffee and check my so called flowers. This year I plan to cause my garden to make a rebound.

Hey Jim.... it's 80 degrees here today. }:)
  • Ah Spring, and the pollen is already starting... Other than that. It's really nice out. Heading for a walk. 76 degrees and forecast for 80's all through the weekend (8)
  • Factoryrat-I think I get you on the crocus metaphor. No matter what, the beauty/goodness is still there even if it's not showing right now because it's a rainy day.

I love spring but this is a bad time in my area with barometric changes and rain and tornados. But spring is one step away from summer and relaxing in an outdoor pool!!!