Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had this happen?

southforkgirlssouthforkgirl Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
I woke up yesterday with vertigo. Im not sure if it is from my spine problems. This is the second time Ive had it. The last time my dr. ordered an mri and ct scan. Didnt find what the cause was. He put me on Meclizine and valium and it finally went away in about 2 weeks. Now it back. AARRHH!
My back is such a mess. I have DDD and had a 3 level fusion almost 2 years ago and now my lower back is really bad. Sometimes my left leg just drags and the pain shoots up my back. I dont know if this has anything to do with the vertigo? Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much for listening.

• I am totally guessing here, but I think it could be connected. Our sense of balance is caused by three things: our eyes, our ears, and the sensory nerves.

The sensory nerves are in the skin, muscles and joints. They send messages to the brain about body movements and positions. If the central nervous system can't process signals , if the messages are contradictory or if the sensory systems aren't functioning properly, it can result in loss of balance.

But if you have vertigo rather than a loss of balance I think it is a problem of the inner ear. Loss of balance (disequilibrium) is what happens when we have nerve damage from surgery or nerve damage that is not corrected with surgery...so by now, I've talked myself out of it being connected to your back problems!! So...never mind.... @)
  • Lol, that was funny. Thank you for the reply. You are probably right about it being from the inner ear. Im just gonna wait it out. I have a Dr. appt. on the 26th. This is a neuro surgeon that I havent seen before. Hopefully he can tell me about my lower back. I have had DDD for about 10 years now and it is getting worse. The vertigo is just an annoying problem I think. Thank you very much.
  • There can be several causes of this kind of vertigo.
    I'm going to guess you were checked for an inner ear infection? A co-worker had that years ago, it was so bad his wife had to hold him up to get him back and forth to the bathroom. It took a good 5-7 days on some antibiotic or other to get it cleared up.

There is also a condition were come calcified crystals will dislodge in your inner ear and cause a sense of imbalance, but I think you need to be up for that to happen when you move, not just laying in bed?

I'd say get on the phone and tell your doctor!

As a side note: There was a PT at the clinic where I went for PT and all she did was therapy for vertigo and balance problems! I never knew before that there was such a need for it. It seems to be more common that one would expect.
  • I haven't had spine surgery but I did have an episode of vertigo and I went to the ER and got a CT head which was normal but just to make sure. Then went to my family Dr. and she told me it was a virus and would resolve with time. I still get vertigo when I'm laying down and turn my head to the left. But it's good to get checked out by your Dr. Do you have lower back pain with your leg sciatica and weakness? Was your surgery lumber? Will your Dr. order x-rays and an MRI? I hope you find out what's going on. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hey thanks wrambler,
    Yes I have done those exercises for the repostioning of the crystals and it worked after a while. You are more than likely right about the crystals being dislodged. I just wondered if it could be from my back, because the back is so complex. I do think i have a nerve problem in the lower back but I dont think it can cause vertigo. Im just worried about my neck fusion being the problem. But I dont think it is. Thank you so much for your support. Everyone is so nice on here. They listen and know what you are going through. Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.