Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 week checkup and all is good

ScottiegalSScottiegal Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went for my 5 week checkup today and my surgeon is very pleased. He said I was doing better than he expected and that he agrees with my physio that the pain I'm getting in my thigh and hip is from the nerve waking up after being tethered for so long. I've now been released to drive if I feel up to it and can start weaning myself off the corset. Typical doc he says "if it hurts don't do it"! No Xray this time - he says you don't see significant fusing at 5 weeks so there is no point.

Had a rough patch last week with a bladder infection that spiked my Blood pressure up, but after a week of antibiotics I'm doing much better. I'm still a bit sore but it is more a deep seated ache than the sharp pain of before. I'm mostly managing the pain on co-codomol with a bit of tramadol on bad days. Best of all is that I have no more numbness or weakness in my right leg and I'm walking without my stick for the first time in a year. Physio is a bit of a pain (literally) - my nerve doesn't like being stretched and lets me know about it and I'm having to learn a different posture to what I've known all my life. Still can't sit or stand for very long and sleep is just as elusive as it was pre-surgery, but it is early days yet so I need to be more patient.

• Congratulations on getting a great post-op checkup. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? I'm pretty envious that you get to wean off the brace. I still have at least two more weeks in mine and I can hardly stand it any more. It was ok at first, but now I just hate it. Good thing my hubby's a drummer - I use one of his drumsticks to scratch when I itch somewhere underneath the brace.

Oops, sorry, I kinda went off there, didn't I? Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the bladder infection. Those are absolutely no fun but I'm glad you're feeling better.

You're still early in your recovery process so you still have a ways to go, but it sounds like you're moving along nicely with just a few bumps in the road.

Again, congrats on getting the good news, great to hear it.

• This is great!
    How long was your right leg numb/weak for before the surery? How long did it take for that to start to disappear?

I know everyone is different but I'm trying to gauge if my revision MicroD has at all worked. I had severe nerve compression for 5-6 months. I just don't have anything back yet at 4-weeks post op and am concerned. I know everyone is different but always curious.

As for sitting/standing too long...I think that's to be expected at just 5-weeks post op. The lumbar supports most of the body. It's just so good that you are seeing positive results. Now if you could just get some sleep!
  • Good to hear you're doing better than expected at this point in your healing. Try sleepytime tea(chamomile) or warm milk in microwave 1 minute to help with sleep. Do you use a cane while out for your walk? Take care and hope you continue to heal completely from surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So glad to hear things are going well for you and a fantastic check up. At five weeks, you seem to be doing very well. You are very early in recovery, so remember to do what the Dr says. The usual walk and dont BLT. Spring is coming and it will help you to enjoy your walking so much more. Take Care, Robin
  • That's good to hear how well you're doing so far and I bet it's good to walk without your cane !!

Persevere with the physio and walking small amounts each day. In the early stages, I found walking regularly relieved the pressure from sitting and being in bed.

When I started driving again, it was such freedom and I kept it to short drives every now and then.

Keep taking things steadily.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see you are doing well. I also had my 5 week this week and was released to drive. Do you have a brace on? My surgeon said to only drive when not taking medications and to wear the brace...but to know that even if I got in an accident where I was not at fault the police would question the brace, my ability to drive, etc. He was just cautioning me so I plan to keep my driving to a minimum if I can. Right now hubby is still at home (was laid off last October) so he can do whatever driving I need.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos