Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good things do happen in chat

marirlpnmmarirlpn Posts: 1,028
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I just felt the need to post something good about chat since so much posted lately has not been good. We had a young woman come in the other day who had been in a skiing accident. She was complaining of neck pain. She had only seen her PCP, had an x-ray, was given meds and a soft collar. One of the regulars in chat is a nurse and has neck problems and had surgery. They spoke for over an hour. This regular chatter was quite concerned and with her encouragement, the newbie went to the ER. She had an MRI, was put in a neck to chest hard collar and was told they were concerned about a fracture. This morning she was advised to emergently see her neurosurgeon.

This newbie was so appreciative of all of our support this morning. How good it feels for all of us to be there for her. Sooooo.....all that happens in chat is not so bad. This lady is all alone and is young. I am so thrilled we were there for her.

Best to all,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I know that CHAT can be a problem and gets a lot of negative press here....

When you have a situation like you describe, it makes CHAT even more special. You have to think of that newbie being frightened and scared and not knowing what to do.

The fact that she got help here in CHAT, just proves the value of those rooms.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Marianne, thanks for posting. This is what Spine-Health is all about and it's nice to hear good things happening in chat. I'm glad that the new member got the encouragement and support she needed from a fellow member and I hope all goes well with her.

Thanks again.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Thank you Marianne for posting this. I suppose we take it for granted the good everyday things that go on in chat, this is how we feel it is for us.
    I agree it is a good feeling to know we help, and today was especially gratifying, this is what we are here for.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • All I can say is terrific! I always hope in the back of my mind when I post an answer to a newbie's (or not so new) question that I am helping. Great job!!!
  • I also remember one evening we were encouraging a member to go to the ER because of her symptoms and she went and it was a good thing she went. Good things happen in chat as well as with faithful members who go there. I had so many issues with my computer being so slow lately I can't keep up so if you see me there I'm just glad for company and may not able to type so fast just looking for companionship. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
    Charry we look forward to you joining us.

If anybody feels they wouldn't be able to keep up in chat. Just tell us when you are finding it difficult, we are happy to slow down, what sometimes happens is that maybe 3 or 4 'chatters' are typing at the same time, we then all press 'send' (no way of knowing) suddenly there can be about 12 lines of chat appear at once, overwhelming for all of us. Please just ask us to wait for you to catch up.

TC and hope to see you

• I've been in chat for over a year now, and I have heard about a lot of issues people are having. I have laughed, cried, supported, and advised people of their options. I have talked about my experiences, and problems. I don't like talking about myself that much. I would rather help people find help, or support them with I kind word. People have come in just to thank me for my advice, and tell them thank you, but that's why I'm here. To support and help.

I have seen other offer advise on issues I know nothing about, but from them I learn. And I've grown to understand other issues that I don't have. With this knowledge, and I'm a lumbar fusion survivor (lol), about the cervical vertebrae. A lady came in late one night, and was desperate for help. And of course someone to just listen, and understand. She just didn't know what to do. I listened, and she told me everything that was going on. She didn't want surgery, or to be given meds to cover her condition up. Wanted to know if there was anything else she could go or try. I suggested some nerve pain meds, and I also offered the idea of a soft collar. Told how I had heard that that can help for certain conditions. She had an appt. with neurologist that week. They discussed her options, and everything I suggested her neuro did.

She came back after her appt., and told me all about it. She was so happy. She thanked me for calming her down, and giving her a sense of hope. I got weekly reports for 3 months from her. What I got out of it was a good new friend, and the knowledge that I helped someone.

I can't do what I uses to, because of my failed back surgery. Sometime I feel just useless, and unable to do anything. Going to chat gives me a sense of worth. Being able to help people, chat with friends, and telling them how my day went. Mean so much to me, more then you could ever imagine.

Bobbi Jo

• chat as i've never used a chat before and don't understand it but if you promise to be gentle with me I might give it a go, i'd love to get to know you all better.
    Although the time difference may be a problem
  • O:) thanks for posting mari
    you all are my angels so many times your kind words when i'm down and the great tips you all share...
    and ms bobbie jo no words can describe how many times you have helped me..
    i thank all of you
    in forum and in chat
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I have not been in chat for a while, but whenever I have been there I have found all very supportive, and nice. I admit I don't read all posts, but am surprisedcha to hear anything negative was said about post...

thanks for sharing the good thing chat did today!
  • Thank you Mary for the wonderful compliment. >:D< But I have always found it easy to be nice, and helpful to people as nice as you Mary. :)

Now where were my manors. Thank you Marianne for having the wonderous =))(sorry inside joke) idea of starting this thread. To show our fellow sh members that there is a lot of good things that happen in chat. And the drama that does happen says more in the background, where it belongs.

Most of us in chat always try to make new members welcome, and realize that this maybe a new experience for them. I and a lot of others know that new members maybe slower at typing, and be overwhelmed with the whole experience. So please feel free to come in, and if the chats to fast for you. Please don't hesitate to send me a privet message. I'll be happy to listen, and help.

Bobbi Jo
  • Thank you for your post and your wonderful kindness and support in chat, Marianne!! I also want to thank all the wonderful people that are so kind and patient and funny in chat! I agree with BobbiJo as I too got a feeling of usefulness from chat. If I could make one person's day brighter, then I had something to offer. I usually don't chat about my own pain unless it is about my son's ailments. I want to thank everyone for thier wonderfully, caring thoughts and prayers. I am happy to say that we got the clearing from Oncology late last night!!!! Yahoo!! KJ is starting on steroids and going home soon to heal. Thank you to all my spiney friends in chat for their patience and caring. Thank you for letting me vent about my worries and concerns for my son. I felt so badly about my situation with my neck and loss of independence. I am so thankful that I found Spine Health and all the awesome people in chat. It reminds me that I am not alone, and I am not useless just because I can't do the same things I used to do. I have found many compassionate people who are also seeking a better life for themselves and others. Thanks soooo much!!!!!

Lots of Hugs,
    glo :)
    I am so happy about the news of your son, I wish him a speedy recovery, it must be a great relief for you all.
    I don't get to chat to you much due to the time difference, but I love finding out how you are getting on when we can.
    TC Hugs
    Liz xx

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    And it has been positive....I do like that so much

Even in the better times, there are a few that still want to rattle the cage. Nothing wrong in bringing up different ideas that might not follow the mainstream.

But we have also had one or two that wanted to stir up problems. I'd like to let all of you know, that the ones that have created a problem recently have been dealt with.

Banning is not our only answer in attempt to keep this site clean
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • has become more pleasant and positive lately. Thanks for all the help provided to us by Ron and others on the team here.

I thought this quote befitting of how I feel about some people I have met on chat:

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.
    Some people become friends and stay a while...
    Leaving beautiful footprints on our hearts...
    And we are never quite the same
    Because we have made a good friend!!

I love chat and will always do my best to keep it a good place to be.

Best to all,

P.S. You're such a great person Glo, ty for the comment. Happy to hear things are better with your son. I hope we get to meet up again when the weather improves!
  • :H Hello everyone!!!! I have a question for everyone
    that's had neck, back surgery how long before they can drive again? I'm 8wks post op 3 level acdf with 2
    plates and still in alot of pain and discomfort. Saw my NS last week and they told me not to drive, which I would'nt anyway because my ROM is not good and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also I love all the kitty pictures you have in your posts, can't tell how happy that makes me feel and what a smile it puts on my face!!! LOVE IT!!! Thanks all and GOD BLESS
  • If you start a new post in the neck surgery forum you'll get more responses from everyone.
    Hope this helps
  • 8> after I posted that question I realized it was the wrong place. Thank you for correcting me as sometimes I get confused. Still new at it!!! Have a great day.