Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Really weird question....

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
This is a really weird question but I have to ask, I have tried explaining it to my husband and he doesn't get it. Here goes it.

Has anyone ever experienced a weird, irritating feeling in their spine? It doesn't quite feel like somehting is crawling under my skin but kind of. It is almost like when you slam your hand in a car door; the only reason this came to mind is because I did this two weeks ago. You know the feel after you do that when it swells? It is not the pain part of it but the anoying pressure of the swelling, just feels irritating as hell.

I am not sure how else to describe it and have not ever asked anyone other than my husband because I felt stupid. I could not even bring myself to tell the doctor because I felt insane even saying it.

• has it been going on?
  • Since right after surgery..... so roughly a year.
  • I get all kinds of weird, irritating, creepy, tingly, numby things. But I'm not sure any of them are the same as yours. I think mine all fall into the general heading of paresthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia)

The Lyrica helped a lot with that, but paradoxically I sometimes get them back randomly in my face since I started taking it. It feels like that feeling right when you start to get a cold sore, but before it starts hurting.

• Mine is not tingling. It is so weird. I feel like I want to crawl out of my own skin. It drives me crazy. It even wakes me up in the middle of the night it is so irritating....
  • could it be something like shingles?
  • No. I do not have any of the symptoms of shingles. No rash, blisters, nothing like that. it is just weird and I was not sure if anyone else had experienced it. I never had it before surgery....
  • Have you had any facet joint injections or ESIs since surgery? I have a feeling like the skin is splitting open with feeling like fingernails across my back and like a burning pain. It's hard to describe the pain but it's like raw meat stunning like a finger in the car being slammed shut I have that feeling too. I hope the pain eases up as you're still healing from your surgery take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes I have had several injections, ESIs and facet joint, since surgery. They did not seem to help a whole lot.

I am ready for some relief tho. I know I have said this before but I am too the point that I could live with just a little relief at this point.
  • I used to get what I could only describe as an "itchy" feeling deep down near my spine. It made me want to squirm and stretch, but nothing could really relieve it. It wasn't painful, but it was extremely uncomfortable.

It started right after my surgery and went on for probably 2 months. After a lot of strange looks when trying to describe it to doctors, my physical therapist told me it was just part of the muscular recovery process after surgery. Not sure if that is what is going on with you though since yours has continued for so long...
  • That sounds pretty similar... But it has gone on for quite a long time. This is part of the reason I have not said anything before. I thought it would go away some day and apparently it is not. I am going to mention it to the doctor when I go Monday and see if I get anywhere with it, or get deemed insane. lol :)
  • I get so many weird sensations that I can't describe! Argh. I'd say "it feels like the muscle pulls against itself right here." or "when I move like this, my back goes "click, scrrrraap."

But maybe I've felt what you've felt, I don't know. Some of these things are impossible to describe. But is yours like restless legs? That could be a side effect of meds.

I hate it when they say "describe your pain." I have so many pains, it would take a month. There is the one that is a deep ache right down the middle of my spine, that just feels like my pelvis is put on wrong. Then there is the tingly burning feeling like someone put a torch to me. Then there is the crampy... well, you get the picture ;)

Charry, the burning pain used to be one of my main complaints. I have to sit for quite a while now before it comes back.
  • A feeling like something is crawling under my skin right along my spine. For some reason this usually happens while getting ready to take a shower in the morning.

It's not painful, just creepy. I think maybe it is where they ran the wires for my SCS.
This discussion has been closed.