Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New issues

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
I had been having pain on my right side ever since my L4/5 discectomy surgery in Aug 09. I had pain in my hip that was severe and was having trouble doing a lot of walking. My surgeon had told me that there was an instability in that joint since the disk had blew out so much material. Well the severe pain finally passed a couple of months ago and I thought with time the rest of my pain that was in my right lower back/upper butt area would clear up.

Last week I woke up to get out of bed and felt no pain on my right side but felt a strange feeling in my left calf. I thought uh oh this can't be good and its not. The last few days I have had sciatica in my left leg all the way down to my toes and just today my right leg had sciatica issues though not as bad.

I had finally started coming out of my depression and now this happens... what a way to live. Im sure things will progress worse so now im just looking at my options which are fusion and im not in a big hurry to do that. Looks like I may have problems a lot sooner than I was hoping.

• I'm sorry to hear of new issues with your leg. Are you taking any muscle relaxants or seeing your Surgeon soon to let him know of this? I hope it's just part of your healing and a little flare up though. Hope you're feeling better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It could be that you are compensating and not realizing it. It could also be that you over did it or need to cut back on your work out.

I wouldn't disregard the pain if it's more than a few days but have you tried icing or ibuprofin? I wonder if there's inflammation which is just aggravating your other side.

IT's frustrating. I would suggest contacting your doctor b/c they may be able to prescribe an NSAID or Medrol pack to see if it will help reduce any inflammation that might be causing your sciatic nerve to act up.

Defintely call your doctor...for peace of mind.
  • My Doc isn't much help... when I say im in pain or whatever the issue is he says take a couple of Advil. He was helpful before surgery now it seems like im getting on his nerves. I need to find another Dr. I believe.
  • It seems to me while I have not had surgery that after surgery if you are still complaining about pain many of these doctors go into shut down mode. It can be that they do not believe they can help you any further or it could be they are worried about legal issues.

Another possibility is that we may have unrealistic expectations from the surgery. I think most believe the surgery will bring us back to our old selves. Did the doctor give you an idea of what to expect in terms of recovery?

I believe you need to start looking at a second and third opinion on your surgery with a new MRI.