Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacro-iliac pain question for the ladies only

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
Wasn't sure where to put this, figured here was as good as any.
For the ladies who suffer Sacro-iliac pain, has anyone else noticed that the pain increases substantially during that time of the month?
My husband and I have noticed when Mr Monthly (or in my case at the moment Mr Fortnightly) visits my sacro-iliac pain is much worse. My Lower back pain is much worse too, but I figure you get back pain at that time of the month anyway so it's just an addition.
I was wondering if anyone was the same or if i'm "special" and if you do have the same has anyone been told why this is and what will help to decrease it as my usual medley of meds doesn't help.
Thanks (and yes i'm blushing talking about this)

• when I got my back injury I never had a monthly since then but sometimes feel as though I'm going to with frontal thigh heaviness and back heaviness but alas no periods anymore for me. I think though it would be an add on pain causing the tense muscles and such well that I used to get. Now I get all the signs and symptoms as if I'm going to get one but don't and then get sweat showers instead. So think this is not helpful but hope you feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I just can't quite understand what the reason would be for the increase in SI pain
  • Yes, the absolutely exact same thing used to happen to me! It is because the hormonal changes that come with that time of the month relax the pelvic ligaments and cause the SI joint to become even more hypermobile. Ahhh, the joys of our favorite time of the month ;)

• Your period causes an increase in production of prostoglandins as well. These contribute to inflammatory reaction. Add in the increased blood flow to this area at that time of the month delivering all the lovely prostoglandins right on target and you have a recipe for increased pain. I haven't figured out what makes it better but I do through it too.
  • I have DDD S1-L5 and L5-L4, osteoarthritis (facet joints S1-L5) and right foraminal stenosis (just recently seen on MRI) - all resulting in chronic low back pain. Anyway, I've mentioned to my doc that I get worse back pain for about a week before my monthly and he suggests it's hormone related.

By the way, and I'm also blushing when I say this, if I'm constipated (which can be a side effect with the morphine patches and liquid I take daily), or have 'wind' at any time, then the pain I experience is also worse. The same applies if I have, for example, a tummy upset which means I'm NOT constipated (if you get my drift,ha!).

Perhaps other ladies have similar experiences?

I think it's really good that you have shared this because now I know it's not only me! It's very reassuring.

Thank you for your post.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I'm just glad it's not my over active imagination!
    Good to know i'm not mad just yet!
  • Nope not mad - same thing here ! :(

PLUS the bi weekly visits have something to do with our backs.. well not our backs/spine specifically, but our pain and our meds. This past Oct I had 4 surgeries as of bleeding for 30 days ( heavy ) stopping for a few days bleeding for 23 days, stopping and so on.

You may want to talk to your PM ( not the JackA*S you seen on Thursday lol ) or a GOOD OB/GYN who really understands these things.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • PS: My group of female friends call "it" TOM ( with all capitals lol ) for Time Of Month - we figured naming it after a man was appropriate lol ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • yes...your monthly cycle plays a role in the 'pain'. I track my pain levels. Change in weather and my menstural cycle as well as something silly like constipation add to my lower back pain which results in my leg bothering me.

I spoke to my doctors about it and it's normal.
    Your body is 'bloated' and has different hormones at that time so like others said...you are not crazy.

Happens to me.
This discussion has been closed.