Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spine Health- a humbling experience

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Water Cooler
I've been thinking for a while how to phrase this, but gave up and thought i'd just write it out and see if it makes sense.
Since i've been reacquainted with SH forums I have been amazed and humbled by the collective knowledge of everyone in the forums.
I was a nurse for 12 years, I haven't nursed for around 11 years so a lot of my knowlege has been "misplaced" in the fog that is my mind. I worked in anaesthetics for 8 years, but my last 2 years of nursing was on a neurological/neurosurgical ward.
I have to tell you the collective knowledge of the SH family has amazed and impressed me, even when I was nursing i'm sure I didn't know anywhere near as much as some of you here (Gwennie is one that instantly comes to mind, but there are many others).
Through this site I have learnt:
- there is no such thing as you can't know enough
- kindness and compassion is still alive and well
- there is always someone worse off than you
- there is no such thing as giving up hope
- when you are at your worst is when others are at their best
- a problem shared truly is a problem halved
- acting like a rambling idiot is acceptable in some places
- humour at times truly is the best medicine.

Thankyou all for showing me it is better to give than receive and a little perspective goes a long long way.

Okay got that out, end of rambling session.

Forever in your debt

• Kylie! that is so beautiful! I agree so much---I am not a medical person,so I too am just overwhelmed sometimes with the knowledge and compassion I find on here.It continues to help me in so many ways-it truly is a blessing-Jeannie
  • You are still an active nurse. :)

You continually offer support and advice to your Spine-Health family. :)

I'm glad you have revisited Spine-Health and hope you stay with us a long time.

Spine-Health is my favorite place to visit. I continually learn something new each day and the members here are one in a million.

Thank you for sharing yourself with us, Kylie.

I absolutely agree that it is better to give than to receive. :)

• I have belonged to some communities but nothing like this place is a life saver for me and I may surely have been lost had it not been for having the great info and walking medical books around as well as kind ones who help you get moving when you're down. We won't always agree on everything but it gets us to look for another side and another way around our problems even just for one person to validate what we wrote. It's true we learn something new everyday here. You take care and keep up your good work! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi klyie
    what a great way with words,you put together everything i feel and could never put into such nice words..
    thank you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well said, Kylie! This is an invaluable place for people with spine problems.
  • This site is a great source for research. I'm amazed at all the doctor written articles that have helped me to learn about my conditions. And the members here are great. I wouldn't have made it through my first few months, nor the last few years, without this place.

Immyali, did we meet when you previously were here? Just curious who your old member name was. I'm always searching for my old friends, and a few of the old timers still pop in once in a while, so say hello. I'm sure we'll remember you.

Have a great day!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I joined here last October just prior to my fusion. As all newbies tend to do I went straight to the lower back surgies section posted what I was having and asked for info without really looking around and researching myself (i've never really been a member of a forum before).
    After my surgery I posted a couple of times, but with 2 young kids, fighting with an insurance co. for my claim and dealing with pain etc. I just "forgot" about the site.
    One day a month or so ago, I reached my lowest point and just happened to see SH still in my tabs on my laptop and logged on and poured my heart out. Whilst my first post wasn't the best thing i've ever done, it certainly saved my life.
    I have been glued here ever since.
    Well that's my story in a nutshell.
    How long have you been around here?
  • I knew it was too good to be true that one of my long lost friends had returned. Oh well.

I've been here since September 06. way too long to be hanging out on a spine health board, but for some reason my spine doesn't agree! And I've developed relationships here that make it hard to leave. I am always checking in daily, reading posts, keeping up on what people are doing, helping out where I can. But I go through spurts of posting. Sometimes it is hard to be positive and helpful when struggling, like we all do. But tonight I can't sleep and thought I'd do some posting.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I know this one all to well.
    I honestly live on this site, without it I couldn't get through the day.
    That's why I started this post to let everyone know how special they are.
    Nice to know your real name by the way, for some reason I thought you were Male! :P
    Nice to meet you Cindy.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey Kylie,
    Speaking for myself and I'm sure others here you are an asset to the spine health forums. Maybe I should rephrase that, you are an inspiration, or better yet, you are all of the above. I remember meeting Cindy here after posting in the neck surgery boards, we both have similar spinal issues and she has been of great support to me. She is very deserving of being an authority here, her opinions and knowledge are well respected as are many others.

After hanging out here a few years I have chosen to not talk about my medical issues much at all. Instead I try to offer knowledge I have gained thru experience and share with others, within reason of course, so just maybe I can put that one person at ease or offer them some peace of mind.

Nice post Kylie, and to all of the nice people that visit this site, I wish you all of the best.
  • That's lovely to hear, I too enjoy trying to help people where I can and i'm amazed at how well (in general) people get on.
    I have indeed noticed how much you enjoy helping others and always enjoy reading your posts.
    Thanks again
  • Kylie...a great post! Thank you! >:D<
  • My most recent research said, that some patients have ten years experience and others one years experience 10X, the key is that we are a supportive and encouraging community, we have invaluable experience of our own condition that others are willing to share for the benefit of the many. Words alone may not ease our plight and knowing others share our circumstance gives some comfort.

Take care John