Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Change of plans for Ming

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my fellow spiney's. I'm so sorry that I haven't been on here lately. Some of you may already know that I was going thru the SCS trial. I ended up in hospital for 5days with spinal headache due to the lead scraping my spinal cord producing small spinal leakage.

Since then the back pain has increased and the numbness and tingling is getting worse so I called the new neurosurgeon's office to let them know as I wasn't scheduled for another appt for 2wks and I was concerned. They had me come in yesterday and I had a complete meltdown. I'm so sick of laying in bed all the time cuz I am in so much pain and that's the only semi-comfy position and not being able to get out and do things with my family and friends. My toes are starting to go numb on me and the tingling is getting constant.

The surgeon informed me that the 2 broken screws have now pushed thru and are pushing on the s1 nerve causing this pain, numbness and tingling in legs, feet and toes. After reviewing my films again and the fact that I had the compllications with the trial he has decided that another fusion would be my best chance of having a better quality of life.

So yes, i'm going under the knife again on April 19th. I wanted to wait until after Easter or else they would've done w/in 2wks cuz i'm in agony. I may ask to have date moved up tho not sure yet. He is going to fuse L4-S1 posterior with rods and screws and said they don't use plates anymore because they tend to slip. He said I'm the perfect examply why their office doesn't do ALIF and don't use plates. He said they are not as stable and the plates can shift and in my case 2 screws broke.

Like Tony (aka straker) I've been told there maybe 50% reduction of pain which is still better than where I am now. He also described this is a tough surgery and mine will be atleast 1yr and I may have to go into rehab facility.

Sorry for being so long. I'm trying to get everything in there. I haven't been on much cuz I've been in so much pain and the meds make me so tired that I spend most time in bed sleeping.

Michele
advertisement

Comments

• I forgot to mention that the neurosurgeon has suggested that I work on cutting down on pain meds before surgery and I'm going to try to lose weight before. I've already lost 27lbs.

He did stress recovery is going to be hell but worse if I'm still taking large amounts of pain meds such as mscontin.

I have an appt with my pain mgmt doc today so going to talk to her about that. I better go get ready cuz I have to leave at 9:30.
  • Sorry about the pain you going thru.Well it sound like you might be 50% pain free in fulture That sound great.Its about time you get some relief.You know you will be in are prayer.
    By the way great job in losing the weight.

jim
  • advertisement
  • This sounds like a sensible solution to me. I don't quite understand why he thinks your recovery is going to be so much more horrendous than it would be otherwise. Why is this more than the usual two level revision surgery?

I must be missing something because to me, this sounds like a positive development for you. It sounds like they have figured out the source of your pain and will be able to do something to fix it. Unless the nerve has been severed due to the screws, which it does not seem it has, there is always a chance it will heal and your pain will be much reduced. Of course, this could take awhile, but I am a firm believer that nerves can and do heal, even years down the road.

This sounds like a really optimal solution. It would be much better to find a permanent solution instead of having to deal with a neurostimulator for the rest of your life.

I know you will go into all this with a positive attitude and I pray it will all turn out well for you.

Hugs,
    Gwennie
  • Michele...sorry you are still in so much agony but it sounds like you are really taking control. You got an earlier appointment and you have a plan now! Please let us know if the date move b/c we'll clearly pray for you.

How did you lose 27lbs? Darn...I would love to lose 10lbs in the next 3-4 months.

(I guess I need to stop eating my oreo flavored birthday cake).
  • You've been through a lot and I'm sorry to hear you're in such agony and having to face another fusion. I hope this surgery relieves your nasty pain and that it will begin a road to recovery that will allow you to get back to some kind of life. You're going to be okay, I just have a feeling. :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • advertisement

• Sorry that you have had such a rough ride lately.
    It sounds like you have some hope now, that there might be a solution on the horizon. The days until your surgery will be rough, but you now have hope for the future.

I'll be praying while you wait for surgery and also that this time, it will be successful, and be the right path to a better life.

Take care
  • Michelle,

I do hope this surgery does help you and reduces your pain by the 50%. My surgeon does the same thing with the percentage on reducing pain. Hopefully you will get more than the 50% reduction though. As far as the nerve healing I have to agree those things take a long time to heal, so be patient with it. The wait will be hard anticipating the date, but I can understand why you want to wait as well. Good luck with the additional weight loss efforts, and eating healthy can go a long way in your recovery as well. Hang in there at least there is a light in the tunnel. Hope your pm had some answers for you reducing the meds as well. Take care.
  • I'm sorry you've been through so much this past year or so and lately. I'm glad your Surgeon will be doing your surgery soon to get you out of pain. It's just not right what you've been through. I hope you get pain relief plus you deserve it! Good to hear of your weight loss event though it was lost through your tears of pain.. Hug to you and prayers and if you need more prayers this time I will pray harder. You're such a good Mother and hope you can find next year crouching down hiding those Easter eggs for your children no matter how old they are. Heck my Mom still hides my Easter eggs and I'm 49 but never had the joy of having my own children. Stay strong. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sending well wishes and prayers your way Michelle. I know the wait seems endless, but knowing that you have a plan and knowing that you can have 50% less pain sounds awesome!

I'm sorry you have had to go through so much. But I am confident there is light at the end of the tunnel. I often think of the statement, "it is darkest just before dawn".

I know it is hard and definately challenges your sense of faith. We are all here for you!

Congrat's on the weight loss! That is awesome! How did you do it? I had/have sooo much swelling. My belly extended out past my breasts~sorry guys, after surgery, it was just shocking. It has gone down significantly, at least 50%. Today at P.T. they measured to be able to document the progress in re to swelling~36 inches! I am 5'2". I don't want to "diet", but this swelling scares me. I have been counting weight watchers points, just to be sure I don't over snack. I know after surgery it is recommended to eat high protien, low fat/sugar. I would love to hear how you have lost weight. It is difficulty to do when you can't exercise and get your heart rate up, so congrat. You should be very proud!

Hang in there Michelle! We are here to support you! Shari
  • So sorry for all that you have been through, but hoping that this will help you. You are having the same surgery I had last year. It is heck the first 2 weeks, but after that, it starts to get better.
    Why the rehab? Do you have anyone to come and stay with you? I found after a week at home, that things started to get a little easier and I was along during the day. I dont have kids to tend to of course, so that makes a difference.
    Have faith my friend, that this will be a big positive change for you. It is a long recovery, but I know how strong you are, and you are a fighter, and do not give up. So things should get better for you. I will be thinking of you. Take care, Robin
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.