Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie w lumbar stenosis - surgery?

Kasey443KKasey443 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am new to this site and looking for others to talk to who also deal with lumbar spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with this about 10 years ago. I cannot stand for 20 min. or sit long without low back pain. I went through epidural injections which helped for awhile, but I also have arthritis in the facet joints, and have to get injections for that too, dif. area, not at the same time. The first epidural helped immensely. The 2nd one not as much, and I was told that this is common. I was so happy to be able to walk without pain and weakness, that I went about my normal routine, in the meantime, all the weight of me walking ( I am not overweight ) apparently shifted to my very low back into my buttocks where I have alot of arthritis, that evening I had so much pain and swelling there, that I was laid up for almost a week, and could barely walk, when i did walk, I was limping terribly. Right now, I am laid up again. I went up and down stairs to do laundry yesterday, about 5 times, and had bad cramps in my calves, and alot of low back pain all night long. I would like to hear from anybody with a similar problem and anybody who has had surgery for this and the outcome of it. Thankyou so much for any info.

• Welcome to S-H! :)

I have lumbar stenosis and have had for many years, apparently. Asked every doctor I ever saw WHY do I have horrible leg cramps in the night? but they all just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know. Recently, I found out it is due to lumbar stenosis and I've got stretching exercises to give those nerves more room and circulation. It does help although at the moment I'm not able to do them because I have a bad knee that gets dramatically worse with that particular exercise.

As for low back pain, I've had that off and on for years but don't know if that's from the stenosis. I have no back pain with walking but cannot stand stationary for more than about one minute or my low back starts up a nasty aching. I get pain in my right leg and low back pain after sitting but I have other issues going on with my lumbar spine (2 previous herniations, degenerative scoliosis now) so I don't know which problem causes which pain, lol.

You'll get input from other spineys and hopefully some of it will help or at least give you ideas.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hi and thankyou for replying and telling me your story. I'm glad to hear the therapy helps you. I plan to start therapy soon, and hope it helps me also. It seems alot of people with stenosis have the low back pain, I dont know if mine is from that or the arthritis in the facet joints. I guess I will find out when I go to mayo clinic next month. I appreciate you answering me and hope you continue to get some relief from the pain! I am also on neurontin which I take when my symptoms are bad. It works absolutely great for the pain.
  • I have ileo-sacral pain and facet arthritis. That is how all my issues started. The swelling puts pressure of the sciatic and cause leg spasms and nerve pains down my leg. Sometimes ice on the affected buttock and lowest part of the back help when it's really bad. I find this helps most if I have to be moving around a lot and suddenly it's time to sit or lie still. If you don't ice it quick...you're in for the swelling and spasms. Hope that helps. Sorry if I misspell or anything...i am typing one finger right now...sore hands!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H hope you find some ideas to get you feeling alittle better soon.. good luck! stop by anytime!! :D Jenny :)
  • I've had 2 lamonotomies L5-S1 and L3-L4 over a 6 year period to relieve stenosis and sciatic pain in my left leg. They did work but I still live on Non-narcotic pain meds every day. You do have to get an MRI to find out exactly what's going on. A laminotony is not that difficult to get through and hopefully will last a long time. I was told that my surgeries were only a stop-gap and my back would get worse because of scoliosis. It took 12 years and I'm now going for PLIF (fusion of L2 to L5)on April 7th. I have no more choices as scoliosis is now beginning to affect other organs and that's not good. I'm not looking forward to the surgery but as I said I have no more options and will do my very best to keep in good shape before and after surgery. Hopefully this will make my recovery easier.

First and foremost go to at least 2 or 3 good Drs. to get their opinions as to what to do.
  • How long have you known about the scoliosis? and how fast did it progress? It sounds like you have an extreme curvature and from what I've read about degenerative scoliosis, I thought that it didn't progress to that level usually. I believe mine is not more than maybe 5 years in progress (because I noticed a 2" loss in height over that period of time) and am wondering what I have to look forward to. ;)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled