Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

11 days post op 2 level posterior spinal fusion

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
Today has been the 1st day I felt up to sitting at the computer. I was in the hospital for 6 days. Had some complications from over sedation and needed a blood transfusion on day 2. Had 3 days of almost constant nausea that was hard to control. I rented a hospital bed and thank god I did. I am up and walking several times a day around my house. Also the longest I sat up was an hour and a half and paid for it. I am taking Percocet 10mg every 4hours. I was unable to tolerate muscle relaxers or medication for nerve pain. After my surgery they had to give me Narcan to wake me up. I am very sensitive to pain meds. They gave me a PCA but I only used it 3 times. I went without pain meds for almost 36 hours before I could tolerate the oral meds. It was tough. Showering takes a lot out of me. My husband Mark has been there every step and helps me whenever I need it. He took a few weeks off of work to be with me. I have a nice 6 or 7 inch incision. The steri strips are starting to fall off. I have 1 staple where the JP drain was. And let me tell ya that hurt when the stapled that shut!!! Yikes.
I am having nerve pain down my left leg. The doctor said that will get better with time. I have my 1st post op appt next Thursday. I am only able to sleep 3 or 4 hrs at a time so I sleep whenever I can. Everyday a little better.

Thanks for all the prayers,

• Sounds like you are doing better. I also have a hospital bed and it works well to keep you more comfortable positions. I hope that the nausea is gone.
    Make sure you dont sit any longer than to use restroom or eat. That is what My Dr said as it puts load on fusion.
    I am glad you are able to walk around the house. It is hard at first, but it gets better. Hopefully with Spring upon us you will be able to walk outside. Keep your chin up, you sound like you are doing well. Take Care, Robin
  • It's good to hear you're healing. Hopefully you're getting stronger everyday. Hug and prayers for a full recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• It is great to hear from you. It must be lovely to be back in your own home again.
    Sounds like you are doing well, but I hope that your nausea goes completely very soon.

Great that your husband is with you to help and support you.
    My husband is taking some time off work with me too.

Take care and make sure that you rest a lot and walk little walks often.
  • Been I few months since your earlier post. I'm also going to have a 2 level posterior fusion. I'd like to know how your doing now. I really appreciated your first post as a realistic window at what I'm looking at. I didn't consider the possibility of renting a hospital bed until reading your post.