Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? on SSD and should I apply

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Please, I am looking for advice and input on the possibility of applying for SSD. My husband wants me to apply but he does not realize how complex this can be.
I have cervical myeloradiculapathy from an undiagnosed spinal cord compression from a herniated disc. I have had 2 cervival fusions in the past year and a half. Also a spinal fusion 12 years ago.
Even though I had the cervical fusion I was left with permanent damage from my cord being depressed too long. Both of my arms hurt and left arm is permanently weak.I suffer from neurogenic bowel and bladder also.
I returned to work full time in hopes that I would improve with rehab. While my legs got stronger ,I have chronic pain that requires lyrica, norco and muscle relaxers that provide marginal relief.Rehab did little for my neck and arm pain, in fact it made it worse. The only relief I get is when I don't do much. I can't do housework or work without significant arm pain.
My Physiatrist and PCP are very well aware of my issues but felt that I should work as long as possible because of the severe economic condition our country is in.The Dr knows it is becoming very difficult for me at work but has not suggested that I stop working .She feels I should try other options first like accupuncture and a TENS unit.
I have made every effort to work and would like to continue to do so but the disability is becoming so overwhelming to me. I hurt so bad ,I am crabby because of the pain and I have arms and a bladder that no longer function properly.
I guess the real reason I am posting here is to get your opinions as to whether my condition would warrant SSD.
I have always been a fighter with a high pain tolerance and for some odd reason don't want to admit and tell people how bad off I really am.
Sorry to ramble but please offer me some suggestions.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    SSDI is an option if you feel you can no longer work. But it will be a fight to get awarded SSDI and can take quite a while. There are specialty SS attorneys who will help you apply and appeal SSDI and will wait for payment until you are approved for SSDI.

SSDI is looking for medical evidence to support that you are unable to do an work. Before you can be eligible you must be out of work for 5 full months due to disability (or due to disability be earning severely decreased income). The details on applying can be found on www.ssa.gov

If you feel that SS is the way to go please talk to each physician and lay out for him/her the cumulative symptoms and problems you are experiencing. To do this it may help to write it down. I've created a list of my symptoms and limitations. The list took a few days as I'd "forget" there was a problem until it would re-surface a few days later, etc.

Does your employer offer Short Term or Long Term disability as part of your benefits package? My STD lasted 26 weeks and then my LTD claim was approved. I am now on LTD until they find me able to return to my own occupation. If this occurs I'll be out looking for employment.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos