Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Month Update...Happy Times Are Here Again. There is Hope!!

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

Just wanted to post a 4 month post-op update on my condition. I had my second discectomy-partial laminectomy on 09 November 2009. To say that the past 4 months have been a roller-coaster ride is an understatement. I went from feeling like a new man immediately after surgery to lying in my bed 10 days later wondering if I had failed back syndrome due to inflammation and one REALLY pissed off nerve. I would like to point out that I live in Canada and that my experience is probably quite reflective of the Canadian medical systems's strengths and weaknesses. The positives are that I had one of my province's best ortho-surgeons operate on me (for free) and clear up the mess that was my second go-round with a blown l5-s1 disc. The negative is that the post-op follow up was not as pro-active as I would have liked. What really saved me was my physiotherapist and, more importantly, my decision NOT to repeat my previous mistakes. This time I resolved myself to work through flare-ups and not lose hope and my conviction to exercise/stretching EVERY DAY.

Following my physio's advice to the letter, I have slowly seen my flexibility increase to levels I haven't seen in 20 years. In addition, I have lost over 15 pounds (not that I'm obese, but rather went from overweight and giggly to thinner and firmer). I needed the help of Celebrex and Lyrica for almost 3 months to get me through the rough patches but I need to stress that with the drugs I was able to work through the flare ups. It took me 2 months before I was able to go back to work and then another almost 2 months for my back to get comfortable with spending all day in front of a computer. I walk during lunch breaks and get up regularly to stretch it out.

Today, I am have gone almost 1 week without Celebrex and I have finally started to sleep without the help of doctor prescribed aids. I feel like a knew man. I guess my hope is that all of us on this forum continue the hope that we will someday get better. It's been 10 years since my first foray with a blown disc but I feel better today than I did before. I read how so many of us have problems post-op and how we worry if the first few days/weeks/months might be a harbinger of the future. Keep up the hope everyone. I'm proof that life can get better.

Take good care,

• Thomas, it's always good to hear the success stories, it gives us all some hope.
    Keep up the good work.
  • That's just the best news and I can see it hasn't been an easy recovery. Good on you for following your physio's advice to the letter, and that you didn't go back to work too soon.

To be able to get a good natural sleep at night is so good isn't it.

I'm glad you let us know how you are, and hoping that you keep recovering as well as you have done so far.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• Sounds like you are well under way in your healing now. Keep up the good work.
  • That was great news. Just take it easy do what Dr say and dont over do it.

• Thank you all for the well wishes, as I am so aware how so many of us have problems seeing the forest through the trees. I cannot stress enough how my recovery was directly related to my exercise and somewhat long convalescence away from work. I know so many of us cannot take 2 months off work but the more time away the better. Please, please everyone, make sure you follow up your surgery with diligent exercise and make sure you start physio as soon as your surgeon tells you to. The pain is usually more pronounced at the beginning as the body is dealing with healing from the surgery and working muscles that haven't been used in a long while. But once that corner is turned, the results become accelerated and life just becomes so much easier....yes, absolutely, sleep without drugs is a gift. I'm now sleeping deeper and better than I have in years.

Thanks again for the support. You all have mine

• thank you so much for taking the time to post, telling us about your journey.

I am 2 weeks post op, had some difficult complications while in hospital. I started Physical therapy yesterday, at exactly 2 weeks post op. This is my 3rd lumbar surgery in 4 1/2 years and I am committed to doing everything i am asked and working through the pain. Ironically i am an Occupational Therapist and have worked 24 years in rehabilitation ~ so now is my time to put my actions where my talk has been. But at the same time, I have to watch myself and not do too much. I tend to have a high pain tolerance and it is a fine balance between exercise that is benefitial and detremental:)

Thanks again for posting. It's so inspiring to hear success stories! wishing you continual recovery!!Shari