Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
How many of you have sciatica issues with no back pain? I have left leg sciatica issues from my rear to the bottom of my foot but no back pain. I don't know what I have going on now but im sure its not good.

• I did have sciatica pain minus back pain when I was first injured off & on. Over time my sciatic nerve "died" as in quit working. I told my Dr I was never so happy to have a part of me die lol ;)

But seriously I was told that the sciatic only pain was depending on how inflamed nerves where, how my disks were swollen and many other variety of issues inside my back are.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sorry to hear you are still having complications, there is several of us here with similar situations after laminectomy/discectomy surgeries when we have continued pain, pain on opposite side or sciatic pain just like you.

I wish I had some answers for you, in my situation I will be having another decompression surgery to clean it all out and remove anything that my doctor sees that could be pressing on the nerve because I have had all the tests and I have been told not everything shows up, but I shouldn't be having all this pain.

I know you have had another MRI but what about a discogram or a myelogram, there are more tests that can be done to find out why you have the symptoms that you do, maybe you could see your doctor again and tell him you are still having problems or get a second opinion.

Another option is to have a nerve block injection, I have had several since my surgery but they just don't last long, but it could help your doctor determine which nerve is producing your symptoms.

Keep us posted and I hope you find out whats going on and you get some relief from your symptoms.

Take care,
  • I was wondering because my discectomy was back in Aug. 09 and I haven't done anything obvious to herniate the disk again. I don't have any back pain just sciatica all the way down my left leg. Something is obviously irratating I just don't know whats going on.
  • I was supposed to have a myelogram/ct scan done but I seemed to be getting a little better so I didn't do go through with it. I was also worried it would make things worse to do the test.

I just got out of bed one day last week and noticed the pain I had been having on my right side (opposite of surgery side) just was gone like someone switched a light off. The bad side was I noticed a familiar feeling in my left calf muscle and as the day progressed so did the sciatica.

The only problem that the Dr. has seen so far was an instability in my L4/5 joint. Maybe the vertabrae was sitting more to my right side for a while and has shifted to the left pressing on the nerve.

I don't have much disk left after the surgery from what my last MRI showed... so I have no room for error in there.

I guess I will call my insurance and see if they will approve another MRI. They might not do it since I just had one in Oct. I have to do something though I can't sit and wait for my leg to go completely numb and then start looking for answers. You know what I mean.
  • doesn't always cause back pain.

I also have found that I have scar tissue that is pressing on the nerve, that could be your situation also. My surgery was just a month before yours, you should make a follow up appointment with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

Do you do PT? I still continue to do my stretches to help with the sciatic pain, that can be helpful.

Good luck
  • I still do stretches and exercises daily. I'll tell the reason I don't think its scar tissue is because when I had pain on my right (none surgery) side I had absolutely nothing going on with my left side. I had no sciatica, pain, nothing. Its just all too coincidental that the day the pain leaves my right side... new issues show up on my left.

I think between the nearly no disc height and instability this is where my problems come from.
  • Or a Ct myelogram may need to be done instead of another MRI, which should help pin point your pain and why.

It is a little odd for the pain to switch sides at the same time. A discogram will be able to tell your doctor if your disk is bad but sciatic pain would mean something is pushing on the nerve. It's definately time to follow up with more tests. If your doctor was willing before I am sure he will still help you now.
  • I have sciatica with no back pain. I had intermittent lower back pain for a few months before it hit my nerve. Luckily I've been able to muscle through it without surgery so far.

Good luck finding the source of your pain. That has got to be frustrating to go through surgery and then something else pop up.