Was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on my situation. Back in November I experienced the worst pan in my leg that I had ever had. After the onset of pain, my leg became extremly weak and parts of it went numb.After having several tests done including MRI, CT Scan, X-rays it turns out that I have a far lateral herniated disc at L4-L5 and a pars fracture at S1. They said the fracture is unrelated to the leg pain I am feeling and looks like it happened when I was a child. I have never been one to have back pain so when this happened, it came as a complete shock. Once my leg went numb and weak, I had no pain. No back pain, no leg pain... nothing. I was just stuck with a weak leg accompanied with numbness. The doctors couldn't understand why this was so. My first Dr. recommended surgery as soon as he saw me and said that if I didn't have it I could have permanent nerve damage. So I decided to get a 2nd opinion. This new dr. advised against surgery for now and wanted to see if I would improve on my own. So I waited. It is now 3 months later and yes, my leg has improved but only to about 90-95%.
The 2nd opinion said that he doesn't think that surgery would benefit me and because I was not in any pain, he was hesitant to give me the surgery.
I just went in to get an EMG with my neurologist who saw me at my worst and who wanted me to have the surgery as well. After the test, he said that my results were not normal and my leg was not ok, but that he didn't feel that surgery would benefit me at this point.
My question now is, does this mean that I will forever have to live with this weak and numb leg?? Do I have permanent nerve damage? Did I wait too long? Will I ever have 100% strength in my leg? Will physical therapy help me? (sorry for all the questions!)
All I keep thinking now is how I regret not just getting the surgery and I am starting to feel really sad at the thought of not having full mobility in my leg. I am a very active person so this makes me pretty upset. They surgery wasn't going to gurantee me a 100% recovery, but still, it may have increased my chances of a fulll recovery. Did I make the right decision by listening to the conservative dr. and try to wait this out?