Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Have any of you had this experience and is it part of recovery from surgery or does it indicate a problem?

This has happened 3 times. When I am on my feet for 1 hour
15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, (like shopping where it is not
a steady pace (it has stops) and is slow) I get an excruciating stabbing pain in my left thigh. I can not put weight on it and I automatically cry out and tears roll down my cheeks. I was in a store today when this happened.
My thigh continues to be very sore hours after the severe pain. It is in one specific spot and the soreness radiates
only a few inches. It is much like the pain before surgery
except that was from hip to ankle.

The surgery was on 12-3-09. MI TLIF on L5-S1. The nerve
root was compressed for a year. Dx: Spondylolisthesis.
My spine was curled like the letter J.

Before last MD appointment, I had some sciatic on sides
of legs. Surgeon was not concerned and said I would experience different sensations as nerves "woke up" and I healed". I have my next appointment in 2 wks.

Does this pain seem normal or more indicate a problem. L4
did have issues but surgeon decided to leave it alone because he believed my pain was from L5. I am so concerned
that I may need surgery again!

Any and all input is appreciated!!! Thanks

• Who knows, really. But my best guess is that it is more likely to be a soft tissue problem. I doubt that since it is as localized as you describe that it is nerve pain. Front of thigh pain usually stems from L3 and is usually a bit more spread out. It can come from the one you are placed on the operating room table, and can be a lateral femoral nerve issue or something with the psoas muscle.

Also that kind of slow, intermittent walking one does when shopping, visiting a museum or art gallery, etc. is just about the worst thing on the spine. Part of it is that the locations where you walk at that speed always seem to have awful concrete floors.

I would take your doctor's advice and not worry about it for now. As we have all been told repeatedly, it can take a compressed nerve a LONG time to return to normal functioning...much longer than any of us thinks it should take. Try to be patient and don't imagine the worst every time you have a new ache or pain. Chances are, it is just a part of normal recovery.

xx Gwennie
  • Are you taking anything for pain? Are you in PT? Any numbness would concern me the most, so hang in there and try to manage those pains and hopefully they will calm down. IF numbness is apparent, I would be on the horn, if you know what I mean.

You'll make it, hang in there...

• thanks for both of your comments. I am taking tramadol. This pain is severe and I am unable to walk. Yesterday, it happened while in grocery store.
    I talked with Surgeon's nurse today. she said she thought it was scar tissue on a nerve and suggested
    some stretching exercises. She said this kind of pain is intense and usually goes away over time.
    I've been faithfully doing stretching and other exercises given by surgeon and PT.

It is scary because I know it will happen if I am on
    my feet more than 1 hour and depressing because I'm
    shying away from some situations.

I have an MD appointment in 2 wks.