Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I feel like screaming! AARRRHHH

southforkgirlssouthforkgirl Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Damn the pain today. Im wining. Somedays are just horrible. I know there are tons of people here that have alot of pain also. How do you deal with it sometimes. Im on pain meds. But somedays it just doesnt work. So, maybe you can give some pointers. Thanks for listening. Love to all!

• I have found that when I can't escape the pain by talking to someone else and being distracted, that music is a good escape. I have an iPod and I will put that on and just allow myself to get "lost in the music" to escape the world of pain.

• Sorry you are having a bad pain day, I have been dealing with neck pain C4-7 for two years now, I had 2 surgeries almost to the day a year apart, my last one was Dec. 2, 2009. I have applied for SSDI and had to leave my job of 17 years. I am taking Opana Oxymorphne every 12 hr, Percocet for breakthrough pain and Robaxin for muscles, the truth is none of these are helping, at the best it makes it ok, but today it is not doing anything for me. I have friends who can't understand how I can be in that kind of pain taking all this stuff.
    My wife has Fibro, stroke and other problems that she has been on SSDI for 8 years with pain. She is my biggest supporter understanding what it's like to having bad days.
    I understand how much this site helps to vent and simply being able to relate to what others write and are going through.
    Hang in there, you are not alone.
  • I also Get lost in my music. Music of the 60 & 70s.I try to remember good old days. But again I am just a old hippie.
    If that don't work I try to think how the future is going to be. Once the pain is gone. Hey I can dream if I want to lol.
    But it also help knowing your not the only one in pain.

(((((((((((((((((( >:D< )))))))))))

• Thank you guys, I will try the music and try to clean the house with the music blairing. Haha. Maybe that will work. Im going to take another pill and try it. Love to you all and thank you
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Distraction - Getting your mind of your pain is the key. The more you focus on your pain and the discomfort the more pain and discomfort you will feel.
    Pain medications just try to help you manage and control the pain.

Take a look at our FAQ and open up "The Blend" Many times that is what is needed.

Many times, I will turn to music to help get me into a different place. I have also had some good luck with self meditation and relaxation techniques.

You will find that those who have been living in chronic pain for many years find different ways to help live with the pain.

We all know that pain medications can help, but we also know that we can help ourselves also.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • a good movie, I can escape for a few hours and be somewhere else.

Do something nice for yourself, reward yourself.

Sorry to hear your suffering, I hope you find some useful distractions and you feel better soon.

• C, has a great idea with the music does wonders for me. Sometimes it just means changing my environment put the Ipod on go outside and sit in a chair or the lounger, or take a walk. Also you can try aroma therapy which does even more wonders. You can have the music on light a nice candle and change the environment in the room. Now another helpful thing for myself like someone else said go do something for yourself like a pedicure, manicure or even a massage. But i know the best thing for me is to change whatever I am doing. Hope you got some relief today.
  • I turned the music up lit some candles and got in my hot tub for a while. That did some good for a while. Thank you for all the suggestions and god bless you guys. Hugs to all
  • I try alot of things on those really bad days, energy channeling, meditation, reikii, aromatherapy, music, deep breathing, yoga and it seems I need a little bit of everything to make it thru the day. Extra PRN meds (as prescribed) are usually used as a last resort, as I really feel completely useless when I am taking enough to rid a majority of the pain.

I hope you are feeling better today!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    can be very effective combined with some of the other things mentioned in this thread.
    I have about 6 different 'essential' oils I use for this treatment.

I use one for:

- Total Bliss
    - Relaxation
    - Sleep and Comfort
    - Peaceful thoughts
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I too use music. If driving and parts start to hurt, I turn up the tunes and SING!!! It seems to help as I am now focusing on the words, and how I tune my voice (bad most times..hehehe) with the song!

At home I like to add incense. My favorite is strawberry and lilac. Soothing, takes my mind to places others than the present of ouch! :-)

If home, comedy DVD's sometimes help. Even if laughing hurts, my "happy emotions" seem to be a good natural pain aid. Take care all.. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Lots of good advice. I want to add that ice is my best friend when the pain is out of control. I have a regular ice pack and one of those recirculating ice packs from my last ACDF. I use that one at night sometimes. Its great!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Shelle, You've found the benefits of ICE, 20 min. on 30 min. off. For me The ice works especially good after I have gotten out of the Jacuzzi hot tub!
    I think if you can put all of those suggestions together. You would have a winner!
    Good luck, Jim ps. frozen peas work great!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yes. Thank you all for the great advice. Im trying everything. Today isnt as bad, but I drove the truck today (semi) and the distraction was just the thing I needed. Im in training to be a truck driver hauling local. 8 hours a day, 2 days a week. With the air ride seat it isnt bad at all for my back. So far anyway. I will try the ice tonite. Thanks again guys. You are all so helpful. God Bless