Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery Help Request

RandyGRRandyG Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All, I am a 47 year old aircraft mechanic who had surgery a couple of years ago, the L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 fused together when both disc's were still in place but buldging from Dengerative disc desease. I thought it would all be good and get off the meds. I never got off the meds and my doctor kept taking X-rays and Ct scans, Mri's and what ever else. I think they were concentrating on the area where they operated. I went to another doctor, a neurosurgeon and he discovered that the L3 had totally turned and is crushing the nerve. I had him send everything back to my original surgeon and now I am scheduled for a second fusion on the 26th. My question is if anyone has ever heard of this happening before and posible causes and outlook of living a pain free life? He is going to fuse the L3 to the current fusion, remove the lower rods and decompress the area. Please help any body, I am scared!

• It is very common for a disc above a fusion to have problems. There is no guarantee with spinal fusion that you will be completely pain free. Understandable you are scared, spinal surgery is a big undertaking. I wish you the best.

• Hi,
    I am going through the same thing that you are. I had my fusion on Dec 11,2008. I never had relief from the pain, and now am having a discogram to see if the disc above, same as yours, is the culprit. I did have some issues with the disc, prior to the original fusion, but my Dr would not fuse it at the same time for risk of failure of the whole fusion. Most Drs do not do a 3 level for that reason.
    This being said, fusion does put strain on the discs above or in some cases below. So it is not un normal. Good Luck on your surgery, and try to keep a positive attitude. I hope that this is the answer to your problems. Take care, Robin
  • I hope your surgery goes and well and that eventually you will be out of pain.

Do let us know how your surgery goes and don't hesitate to post again if you need support.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008