Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolithesis causing numbing pain in legs

JennMiddle26JJennMiddle26 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Jennifer, I'm 24 years old. I've had rude doctors laugh at my condition while I wheep over the fact i'm a mother of two young kids and a husband who deploys for Iraq. I will not receive much help with my kids. I'm sure I injured my back while pregnant or from over use of picking up my house and kids. who knows! All I know is that after dropping my son twice it was time to get another look and an MRI done. The pain is very persistent. The percocet, muscle relaxer and Ibuprofen isn't really helping much. When I go to the doctor today is there anything I could ask for? Any and all comments are more than needed. Military doctors do not take anything serious, or at least this is my experience thus far.
I see PT tomorrow and neuro on Thursday. I'm so afraid of surgery, will I ever be able to run and jump again??

• That would be a hard question to answer. That question will and should be answer by your DRs. There not enough infor. for us to even to guess at it. But I would ask for another MRI. And please don't be worrying about surgery till dr bring it up.
    At that time we might beable to answer some of your question. But for now you will be in our prayer that every thing will go good at the DRS

• Hi Jen,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and be sure to check out the video section and the related articles for your condition. It is my firm belief the more you understand about your condition and the better educated you are the better your outcome is. Also you should check out the FAQ section, located at the top of the page. You will find a article on preparing to meet with a surgeon. If I was in you situation I would prepare a list of questions prior to your meeting with your doctor, so you can go over all your options. It will also help to keep the meeting on track. It is also sometimes helpful to take another person with you, two sets of ears are better than one.

You mentioned something about dropping your son. I am not sure which level of the spine you are having issues with. But the lumbar would deal with your legs and the cervical spine would relate to your arms and depending on the condition could relate to your legs. Try googling a dermatone map and you can see the patterns from what levels. So if you have only had a lumbar MRI and your having weakness in your arms they need to look further into your condition and vice versa.

We have several members whom are in your age category and have issues with that age being taken seriously. That is why I suggest that you prepare for this meeting. It is unfortunate that you aren't taken seriously but you have to hang in there and just ask questions and seek answers. We also have a few folks from the military and possibly they will come along and give you some pointers on the system. Sorry I don't have much knowledge of how the military works.

Is your husband deployed at the current time? Please thank him for his service to this country and thank you for your support of someone in the armed services. I have had a family member deployed and it is such a different world for all the military families.

AS far as wether you will ever beable to run and jump and do the things you love? My answer is we have lots of successful surgeries around here and they are out living very active full lives. Will you need surgery not sure? Depends on the degree of your issues? It is so hard to speculate. While we can't interpret MRI's we are glad to explain what we can through our experience and find related information they may help you with your condition. Keep in mind those who have had successful surgeries, don't stick around to long as they are back out living regular busy lives, so i think that is a reasonable objective for yourself.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Keep us posted on what you find out at the doctors. I just want you to understand we do get and understand your pain. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

Tamtam is totally right with what she said and she knows what she's talking about.

If you can give us a little more information about your symptoms, we might be able to help you a little more.

I'm glad you found us and I too want to thank your husband for his service and for your support of him.

Take care.
  • First off, let me say thank you to all of you who have taken the time to welcome me to the forum. It isn't easy talking to my providers about this, as they cannot feel my pain or live my life next to me. They cannot see me often, so my condition is always going to be worse than the last time. An MRI from six months ago, which is what it will be when I go home, could be ineffective when the next doctor sees me. As long as I have this trail of films to follow me, I am never going to get a team of docs on board to help. As a military dependent, I am stuck with whomever is on duty for the particular day I am supposed to be seen for my back. For instance, I received a phone call informing me that my appointment (waited two months) was canceled, and it was up to me to reschedule. That is how it works, as I am placed on the back burner behind Soldiers in training here on Post. It is a steady battle to just get in the door, let alone have a provider see me for more than twenty minutes at a time. My days are flying by lately, due mostly because each provider wants me to take another test, try a new stretch, start a new protocol. It seems to me that if I could just get a straight answer, I would at least have the peace of mind to comfort me, as nothing any of these providers has said or done has helped so far.

Again, I would like to thank all of you for the kind words and warm welcome. My husband says to tell each of you that he is proud to serve, and is glad to hear that he still has some support in the "civilian sector".

I am up for suggestion, and will take a lot of what you have suggested to heart, to better prepare myself for my next appointment. It is truly difficult to communicate my interests to my provider, especially when he/she is taking the entire appointment to a close as soon as I walk in.

Thanks again to all of you, and have a great night.

quick thought here...The doctor said, "A lot of people have back pain, it's totally normal." I was just thinking, a lot of people also have cancer. Does that mean that cancer should be taken lightly? Should it be another drop in the statistic bucket for American medicine? Why would someone go to school for ten years, take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to land a job that they are always so irritated with? At what point did they decide to abandon the bed side manner we used to see when we went to the doctor with our grandparents?
  • The last doctor I talked with said my condition is "normal" I almost walked out. It's the first level of Spondy and for some reason my body is picking up the signals with an increased pain, numbing from buttocks shooting down both legs. I have a 9 month old that needs to be picked up several times a day and I'm doing the best I can to pick him up correctly. The vertebra that is slipping is at my L-5 S-1
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are facing such daunting circumstances in order to get care... your determination will be your biggest benefit at this difficult time!! ~X( i do hope you find one doctor who cares and will take some time with you, that is all it takes is just one doctor to care!! :D good luck! Jenny :) (my name is Jennifer too)