Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hypoglycemia {none diabetic}low blood sugar

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
do any of you suffer from this problem .i have had it for many years but sometimes it lays dormant and other times ..like now i have to monitor my blood sugar ,if i go swimming sometimes i can get the same feelings as a diabetic .weak /sweaty/shaking/even loss of peripheral vision and fear of collapse .this is remedied with a sugar fix .my blood can go as low as 2 .on my test meter .i have even been out with the dog {on better days years ago] when i could walk miles and all of a sudden i would start to feel it coming on and i would be so bad i have had to ring kath to collect me and bring a drink and sugar {a mars bar}
this is a very scary thing to happen .my doctor thinks its brought on by my pancreas making too much insulin . my diet consist of carbohydrates and from what i have read this is typical of this condition .it comes on anywhere between 2/4 hours after eating .then the sugar craving kicks in .i can go from feeling like death to ok again in about 15 minutes ...sound familiar to anyone??

• I have had this since I could remember! My GP basically told me I had a "very excited" Pancreas, and to eat 5 "little meals" a day. I normally don't eat that much, and or forget, so when I start feeling it coming on, I eat a small snack to stop it. My worst "frequent" episodes Straker seem to come on when I am under either a lot of stress, or pain! Once in a while too if I don't eat something for breakfast and didn't sleep well the night before!

I get weak feeling (overall), tingle fingers, shaking fingers and then hands, vision starts getting such that I can't focus, and yes, the peripheral vision goes to crap. If I let it go too far, my hearing starts getting weird - tinny sounding. I've woken up many times with my sugar around 50-60. I start feeling bad from what I've been able to measure when it goes below 65.

Ever since my back started its crap (24/7 pain) I now have added (I know, sounds gross) 6 peanut M&M's to my breakfast! I have grits or Toaster Stroodles, and now 6 M&M's - haven't had my morning problems since! I won't do a candy bar by itself as my sugar goes up, and then I crash too fast! I process the sugar out very fast. I am "a fasting Hypoglycemic according to my doctor. Hope that helps.

Oh, I also carry Glucose tablets with me now if I go say....to the zoo, or a walk on the beach with the hubby, or the gun range to qualify (after drinking a coke on the range, almost passed out due to my sugar dropping to 46!) as there are no snacks nearby, and down here in South Florida, you dehydrate fast, which also causes your metabolism to change such that sugar can go low fast too. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes....I have the very same problem! But now that I am self employed and work out of my home I am not bothered with it as much as I use to be. I carry a small can of Orange Juice in my purse at all times when I go out or make sure I have a candy bar in my pocket.
    I first start shaking, then the sweat starts streaming down my face and if I do not get sugar in me right then I will pass out!
    I know just how you feel Tony. A person goes from being deathly ill and if you get something sweet in you fast you are fine in just a few minutes. Now if I can't get something sweet quickly enough and I pass out it takes about 24 hours for me to fully recover from an episode. BTW...I am not diabetic either.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Hi Tony,

I also have it, and I also was told to eat smaller meals more frequently. I was also told to focus on proteins and whole grains that take longer for the body to break down and convert them to sugars. It is much easier to type about than to follow. I saw a nutritionist after I got soooo sick during the 8 hour glucose tolerance test. It is the opposite of a diabetic condition I was told. She also advised lots of healthy snacking. I then also did very poorly on the lactose tolerance test but luckily that just involves taking a lactaid pill in advance before eating. FUN STUFF- NOT

Have a nice day that involves less pain or no pain at all!!
    glo :)

• Try more protein and fat, less carbs, more frequent meals..

Take it easy!!

• i eat the minimum of fat {cant stand anything fatty} i am a vegetarian .so my diet consists of peas carrots and some form of potato {not fried} i eat very healthy foods .i eat Rita with flora pro active and a cup of tea for breakfast for lunch i have 2 shredded wheat and a handful of fresh raspberries with semi skimmed milk .and for tea all veg ..i don't drink and don't eat junk no mac d for me .my problem is a metabolic one my dad and gran dad both had it we all sweat profusely too for no reason .i have to sit under a fan most of the day .even when i was not on drugs and was very fit i got the same problems .looking at my bloods i think i may be heading for type 2 diabetes .this will be confirmed next week when i see the nurse
  • Tony,

There is strong evidence that hypoglycemia is the precursor to being a diabetic. I am or I should say was(haven't had a attack in years), hypoglycemic. I used to get attacks so bad that i would go into seizures from it. The very first attack I had came after a Thanksgiving meal. Nice way to met your new inlaws to be by passing out and being rushed to the ER after they feed you a nice dinner. But diabetes is very strong in my family. The doctors figured I was on my way there. I went to the five small meals a day, and you could never find me without a candy bar. We always kept juice and peanut butter for those occasions. I went to eating almost nothing but proteins and got rid of all carbs for the most part. All my meals were controlled, as i didn't want to become insulin dependent. At the time I took no other meds either. During those times I would also suffer from massive migraines. I don't know if my body chemical makeup has changed but I no longer suffer from it and so far my sugar levels are in check. I am riding a little high, but need to watch what I eat is about it. All of my family that are diabetic's all came down with it in their 40's and 50's so I am extra cautious of it. As far as the no carbohydrates that is debatable depending on what doctor you speak with. My doctor didn't like them, so i stopped them on his advise. Now with having chronic pain and DDD i have more of reason not to eat them either. I am learning that carbs go to the fat cells which drive our c-reactive proteins higher more specific the the hs-crp. I really hope you don't have to become insulin dependent maybe surgery will help you so you can become more active. Your situation it is harder to control with your back issues into play. Anyway that is my 2 cents about it, just happy mine is under control and haven't had a attack in years now.
  • :H Hi

I am a pre diabetic. My a1c is 6.3. I have had Hypoglycemia for about ten years but was not told I had it until three years ago. I am now back again trying to lose weight and get in shape and eat healthy foods. There is a small gym where I live and that helps alot.
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.