Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

myleogram in am pls share your experience good or bad plas

starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
hi spineys,
spine doc has ordered a myleogram and i have had different injections, facet, esi had alot diffent test..but this one is scaring me..i have read thru past posts.
what is this pain like..alot have said when dye goes thru and they tilt the table its alot of pain..
have to admit i'm bit afraid of things when i don't know whats gonna feel like..so pls good and bad pls tell me how it went for you..
having done 7am tomorrow..
thanks all
praying down get the spinal headache
neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
daily goal do good thing for someone.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sure you'll do fine with the myelogram. I didn't want to answer your post because I don't want to cause you any more anxiety. I had a myelogram done on my cervical spine in Jan. 09. The procedure was going fine, had some drugs to relax me. As soon as the doctor injected the dye it caused severe pain in my sacrum area and he said it irritated some nerves. They immediately gave me more fentayl(sp?) and finished the test. It didn't even hurt in my neck where I have the disc problems. I've continued to have lower back/sacrum/leg pain and weakness since the test and the only answer I've had is it irritated some nerves. They say anything like this is rare and that normally the test causes no problems. I made sure I didn't lay flat for 24 hours like they said and also drank plenty of water and caffenated beverages. They say that helps flush out the dye. As for the pain of the procedure it really wasn't that bad. I hope I haven't scared you even more. Like I said they say any serious problems are rare. I hope it goes well for you because this test does show more than just an mri.
    Good luck.
  • thanks debbie
    for replyin and no ya didn't scare me..love to hear others stories..
    sorry for your ordeal with it.
    hope you have pain free days
    ty again for replyin
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hopefully your myelogram is over by now and all went well. Please let me know how you're doing. Remember to just take it easy today and drink lots. I'm sure you'll have no problems with it at all. Usually things aren't nearly as bad as we think they will be. Take care,

• is that similar to a discography? because i have scared myself to death reading post about that .so much so i don't even think that i am going to have it ,let us know how you went on
  • Tony,

A myelogram is not like a discogram at all. The myleogram is just injecting some dye into the spinal space and them tilting the table to take pictures. As the dye travels if there is a nerve issue it can place additional pressure on the nerve's. The good thing is, doesn't take to long. I had one done for for the lumbar and cervical regions last October and have had several on my cervical spine before. So there is pain but instantly with the dye if you have nerve issues but it is short lived or I should say the pressure that causes it doesn't last long. The biggest problem is that some don't lay flat following the procedure with the head elevated and developed spinal headaches from the the needle whole not closing where the dye was injected. A very small few just have bad luck and get the headache. I say headache but it is no headache, feels like a freight train is going through your head. In that event they need to go back for a spinal patch and blood will be pumped from your arm back into the spinal space. I have never gotten one from a myelo but did from a block for a knee surgery, either I missed the directions about laying down or someone assumed I would be sleeping due to surgery and didn't tell me. Either way it was resolved with a trip to the ER. The myelo is designed to give them a good look at the cord and the exiting nerve roots.

Mary back to you how did the myelo go any results yet or how long do you have to wait to get them. Hope everything turned out okay for you. Keep us posted.
  • I think it is all a matter of who does it and how good they are at it. Sometimes just dumb luck...

My myelogram went all wrong. I thought my head was coming off while they were doing it. Unlike tamtam mine hurt horribly from the moment they started. Then turned into a puncture and resulting hole in my spine and freight train headache.

I've had 2 discograms. They're not so bad. 1 with sedation and 1 without. Does it hurt? Sure it does. It's short lived and is the acid test after all imaging has been done.

Refusing to do either of these if your surgeon insists you do it is just foolish. Why bother seeing the surgeon. Given how much pain people deal with on a daily basis. These tests and associated pain are short lived. Barring the unlucky few who get severe headaches from spinal leak or allergic to the dye. Even after a bad experience I would do what this surgeon wants because I trust him and his judgement.

Have them give you something to calm your nerves down before the test. But not dope you up so you can't feel pain. The whole point is to see what triggers the pain.

• thanks all
    yes tam test was not bad at all my doc told me a story well joke thru it and was so short ..however goin on 2nd day after wow freightrain thru head describes it perfectly.
    doc just called me and goin to try midrin first and he has a anetishia guy on call for sat am if still having headache..nice of him cause i dread goin thru er dont have good luck with docs there at all...and can't sit up to wait..
    but lumbar myelogram test was nothing pinch and some pain an pressure when tilted table but of course i thought would be worse than was..
    thanks all for concern i have appt for tues to go over results.
    hoping meds work not looking forward to gettin blood patch..ya know me i think the worse and get nervous for nothing
    ty mary
This discussion has been closed.