Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i know i have been here before but

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Stop Smoking
as i have a big operation in the near future now i must stop .its hard .i have tried a few times last years but the surgeon wont operate on me {and i don't blame him} so at the end of the month i have an appointment with me nurse at my doctors to get my stop smoking stuff..its going to be hard as i enjoy smoking even though i hate the smell {i always smoke out side }wish me look

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm a smoker also so I know how you feel. If you set your mind to it I'm sure you'll be successful. What kind of stop smoking aids are you going to try? I wish you the best of luck.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I tried and failed many, many, times. Even started back up after one of my fusions fused. But I finally quit for good when my lungs filled up with fluid on a hardware removal in 05. It was not easy. But doable!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • as well, good luck.
    I'm doing for health and financial reasons. I have a list of reason's not to in my head.
  • This is a great decision which will help you heal faster after your surgery. Will be sending positive thoughts your way!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • You CAN do it! I have been an ex-smoker now for 14 years, but it took me quite a few tries to get there.

What really helped me get through was keeping my hands busy. I took up crocheting and made blanket, after blanket, etc and it really helped. Its also good therapy. And yes, men can knit or crochet, its not just for girls only. A long time ago I tough a man I worked with how to crochet and he was hooked!

There are other things you could do to keep your mind off smoking and hands busy, crocheting is what worked for me.

Good luck in quitting, just take it day by day, or even minute by minute. YOU CAN DO IT! Reach out for all of the support you need, we're here for you,

• I had good success with fake cigs. They come feeling like a normal cig. size wise. They taste like a bit of cinnamon and a the other peppermint for the menthol taste. But you don't light them. They are called smokers option. But there are a lot of sites out there claiming to be them, so I will send you a PM of the real site :)

Maybe try reminding yourself that quiting means getting at least 50% of your pain removed ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    and I am sure you will find someone to stop this prior to surgery.
    I havent smoked in over 25 years, but still to this day I miss it. The time I miss it the most is when I am at the beach. Just put me near salt water, sand and ocean breezes, and the first thing on my mind is to have a cigarette.

I wish you the best in mustering up the strength that you will need to handle this
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron i can appreciate what you are saying .about the sea and beach .living in the uk its rear for me and kath to get on holiday we go to fuerteventura its beautiful .and i always say to myself this is the right time to quit all that lovely sea air and a relaxed atmosphere all that swimming ..but after 4 hours on a cramped 767 the first thing we do is light up !! then its on the terraces sunbathing and you smell tobacco its just not fair ..i have stopped on several occasions .and for long periods .first time i stopped for 10 years the i got divorced/had a crash /operation /new baby/and lost job all within a year!! stared again and went on for 5 more years then stopped for another 5 years then my back started playing up again .but manage to stop again for 3 years then i started again and this time is has been since and just before the last operation and i have found it so hard to give up ..but i have an appointment with the smoking nurse next week and we will take it from there ..then there's the cost at nearly 6.50 a packet and kath smokes too its an expensive habit .and the weired thing is i hate the smell on me and my clothing we don't smoke in the house and kath has promised to smoke well away from me ..she wont stop ..typical medic!
    anyway thanks again
    tony x
  • Hang Tough Straker!!!!!! Think of what you can do with all the $$ you save ;)

But seriously, I know you can do this. Now you have to believe you can do it ♥
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • and i would do almost anything to smoke !! but i wont ..i am finding it soooooo hard ..i think its because i am awake and on my own for so long .i am trying all the tricks ..i have the patches and mints and water .but nothing compares to a smoke ..i am going to struggle to stay of them this time ,good luck to all you quitters
  • 3am .
    in pain and on my own ..i could smoke my way through a packet before the morning ..no problem ...but i dint
  • hi all
    i am still in the main off the cigs in 15 days i have smoked around 15 cigs{in the 15 day period } and most days none .i am going for none the patches help BUT i am having the strangest of dreams and extremely detailed i can remember smells in tastes of things like in my last nights dream ..i was in a restaurant {something i never do} with my ex wife {mind you have have just spent some time with her }and we were ordering food {and i am a funny eater anyway} so she was testing food for me {again this is not the weired part} the weirs thing was that i could remember every detail of everything on the open menu all the cakes there colours and taste etc and then i am back with my wife in my house asleep on my recliner and this man comes in ..in a kilt ! to measure up for blinds also kath is taking down the Christmas tree! and i am having a conversation with my dog !!!!! the dog told me that he understands everything i say but now he can talk !! but only i can here him ...OMG ......THEN i run {me run ha ha } to the bathroom and i have change appearance i am now Asian and my bathroom is bright red {i hate red} then i woke up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yeah I would say for sure those are some weird, whacked out dreams Tony ! 8} lol

During 1 attempted quit of mine I had some pretty weird dreams too.

I am THRILLED to hear you are still going strong ! :)

• If you are on nicotine patches, you'll get the most vivid amazing and weird dreams.
    I'm a nightmare sufferer so I usually take the patches off at night otherwise it's just too scary.
  • Great post, I love the part about talking to the dog. I remember dreaming that I was traveling the country with High School friend in a semi truck robbing houses. Those patches are almost recreational drugs.

I quit 5 years ago after 25 years of smoking, mainly by stumbling on an online quit forum. I read one particular story and never smoked again. Hard, but doable. Just hang tough, the first 3 weeks are hard but it did get easier eventually. Good luck, and trust me it is worth it.