Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is causing my pain?

abeastlybeastaabeastlybeast Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I'm not sure what is causing my back pain. The pain is located in a very specific spot, on my spine and on both sides about in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. I went to the doctor about a week ago and got an x-ray, the xray didnt show any signs of spinal damage but it did reveal I have slight scoliosis. I've been avoiding exercise and working out for almost 2 weeks for my back to heal and according to the doctor I should lay off of working out for another month. I'm not sure what kind of pain i'm experiencing or the cause. This is what I think caused it:

About 2 months ago I was at a wrestling match and before I went in to wrestle, I did a stretch where you get in a push-up position, then put pressure on your head and push forward in an effort to stretch out my neck. I then repeated this reverse, where you do a back bridge and press on your neck the opposite way to loosen the muscles. Then in my match, I was put into a position where I had to squirm and try to break free out of a lock the other person had me in. My back did not hurt during, or after the match until I got home that night. All of a sudden I felt a fixated pressure pain in the spot that hurts.

I ignored it and have been working out for the past 2 months because it causes me no pain unless I do pull ups or dips. I was even doing clean and jerks and most of the time felt no pain doing them, until I'd get home later that day and might experience some discomfort. Overall the pain is not severe but really annoying and I want it to heal so I can wrestle 100%.

Do you guys have any idea what kind of pain this is? Is it muscular? How long do you think it will take to heal?

Any feedback is appreciated THANKS

• Also forgot to add that it seems like my back feels worse when I don't work out. For awhile I was working out my chest, arms, shoulders, lats, even my lower back and all and it seemed to not cause pain. Only when I did curls it seemed to put pressure on the spot that hurts.
  • My best advice would be to follow back up with your doctor and let them know it is still bothering you. Sometimes small injuries can take some time to heal, but then again I would hate to speculate what could be causing that. Have you tried laying on some ice couple times a day, be sure it is not on your skin. Since the injury is a bit older maybe some heat would help. You might also check about some message therapy and see if that helps. But I think it best you follow back up with your doctor and let them set the plan for you.
  • I would get a prescription for physical therapy and then find one who specializes in sport injuries. A good therapist will find the exact cause, probably muscle pull, and help you work through the problem.

Someone who works out as much as you do can't just stop for a month without causing problems with the rest of your body. It is important to identify the problem and make sure it heals while still caring for the rest of your body.