Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Awesome 6 mo post-op follow-up

awalker819aawalker819 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well since so many members say they don't see nearly enough success stories, I figured I would share the next milestone in my little journey. I had my 6 mo (technically 23 week) follow-up today and everything went wonderfully. My OS was very happy with m X-rays, said I am fully fused (though of course it won't be completely solid for about 6 more months), and that I can basically do just about anything I want, including playing softball again. Which I won't be doing for my other disc's sake! Apparently I am also his first-ever surgical patient that scored a zero on the oswestry disability scale - because I have no pain! He did however harass me a bit about that "trying to determine if it was my abnormally high pain tolerance or that I just really had no pain..." :) He also said he couldn't be more pleased with my progress, and "could never have dreamed I would do so well".

All in all I couldn't ask for better results, a better doc, or better news!

• congrats andy
    so happy to hear that from docs visit but knew ya doing good when ya started hiking...
    you been thru alot and are a great success story for sure.. and did it all on your own.. which is so very hard to do..i had my hubby and kids..you had no one..so truely happy for ya..
    keep in touch
    i go for a myleogram in am tomorrow very nervous ..hope to chat soon..look for me or i you tomorrow
    tc mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • That's so cool!
    Your doctor sounds cool...I have an abnormally high pain tolerance too. But zero is still zero!

• that is great news thanks for sharing. Hope to see the day that every one be pain free

• I have one too but back pain is so damn persistant it eventually lowers that tolerance ( in my opinion).
    Thats some great news and I hope continued success.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • It's so good to hear a success story. Gives me hope when I'm only 6 weeks post-op.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am so pleased to hear about your successful surgery. Thank you for posting this positive post it is very encouraging.
    I am pleased for you
    Well done Andy

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • That is wonderful news! I am less that 3 weeks out so it gives me so much hope and inspiration to keep fighting to get to the top of the moutain!

Congrats and enjoy living your dreams in your painfree new life!! Peace~ Shari
  • I'm so happy to hear all's well with your fusing and you're feeling so well and pain free. This is such positive news and a new outlook on life I bet for you. Thanks for sharing. Take care. CHarry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad you had a great dr. visit but it seems a lil strange for your dr. to tell you youre fully fused but its gonna take 6 months to harden. A full fusion if Im right, is when the bone that the dr. packed...fuses together and becomes solid bone. If he's telling you its gonna take 6 months to become solid, youre NOT fully fused yet. Sorry.
    Maybe the mods know more about this subject.
  • Dag...kept missing you in Yahoo. I'm so glad for your most awesome report. You stunned the doc! I knew you would!!!!!! Yeah...lay off the softball. What a great sacrifice for health though. Dang. I'm so glad for you. Wow....you know how few people are fully fused at 6 months????? YAY!!!! =D>

I'm glad for you good news like it was my own news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It's wonderful to hear that your doing so well. We don't really get to read enough about success stories.

Keep us up to date when you can. I'm still a few weeks from surgery and look forward to hearing from all success stories. It truly make me more comfortable about what I'm about to go through.

Thanks =D>
  • Christina69 said:
    Glad you had a great dr. visit but it seems a lil strange for your dr. to tell you youre fully fused but its gonna take 6 months to harden. A full fusion if Im right, is when the bone that the dr. packed...fuses together and becomes solid bone. If he's telling you its gonna take 6 months to become solid, youre NOT fully fused yet. Sorry.
    Maybe the mods know more about this subject.

Well his explanation, which I suppose I should have included in m previous post, was "You're fully fused. Everything is nice and solid. But it will be another few months, close to the year mark, when I'd say it'll by sturdy enough that if we had to remove your hardware we could do so with no risk of damage to the fused area if you went back to normal activities." That's almost verbatim. And sorry but I trust my OS over anyone's opinion. If there's a mistake it's in MY interpretation, not his.
  • This is just what needed to hear to give me hope for my surgery the day after tomorrow!!! ~X(

Thanks for posting to encourage others.
  • Best of Luck with your surgery...I'll be praying that you have an easy time of it.

Hope that you feel so good that you'll be able to post very soon after this ordeal is over to let us all know how well you are doing.

Take care.....M

• I am so grateful for everyone's prayers. I'm really trusting God to look after me.
    I am amazingly calm and it seems surreal because the real me would be feeling very panicky.
    I hope that this calm feeling takes me right up to the operating room!!

I'll post as soon as I can, or perhaps I'll ask my husband to post for me.

Take care everyone
  • Thank you awalker819, it really helps seeing people that are having success and it sounds like you are doing great. ;)

• Andre,

Such good news for you! You've had a bit of a rough year, so this HAS to be *the* best news! *HUGZ* So happy for ya woman!!! You go girl!!!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Boy you are so right there Brenda! Thanks to you and to everyone else! I sure wish everyone had my luck!

Best wishes and a pain-free (or as close as possible) to all!
  • Andy,

I am so glad and not surprised that you are doing so well! I told you that I am so jealous about the hiking- LOL. Thanks for sharing the great news, because we all need to hear it.

-Wishing you continued success,
    glo :)
  • Great news and thanks for posting another very positive story. yes, success stories do happen as several of us can testify too.

All the best and keep up the good work!
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Thank you so much for letting us know how well you're doing. After all the pain, you must have wondered if you'd ever be pain free, and now you are - yaaaaaaaay

Keep hiking and enjoying life.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008