Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dentist and spinal hardware

GweniverreGGweniverre Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello fellow spiney's,

A couple of months ago I posted a question about if people took antibiotics before they went to the dentist after having spinal surgery with hardware. The answers were varied and gwennie was nice enough to pm with some info on article. So after going to the dentist today and am going to have a crown done in 3 weeks, I was still on the fence somewhat about whether or not take antibiotics before my appt, since my nuerosurgeon said it is not needed, but my dentist thinks I should.
Now I know some people say, just to take antibiotics, it is no big deal, but in actuality it is. If you go to the dentist twice a year just for cleanings and take antibiotics each time you go, you are seriously compromising your body's abilitiy to fight off infection on its own,, run the risk of allergies to the antibiotic, and you could run the risk of certain bacteria becoming resistant to the antibiotics.
I went to the ADA (american dental association) website and found a link to this article.

I thought I would share it with everyone, as it helped me to make a decision about not taking antibiotics!

• Thanks for sharing that with us.The more infor you have the better life can be.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    For several years I had to take antibiotics when going to the dentist because of the fusion and hardware in my neck. But after 7 years, my dentist told me I no longer had to do that.

When I was in NYC yesterday to get more details about my shoulder surgery, they told me that I would be needing to take antibiotics for life when I go to the dentist.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, so I am real curious to find out what the answer is.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am betting they will tell you to take antibiotics. The article said if you are having a sinovial joint replaced ie: hip, shoulder,knee that it is indicated to take prophalactic antibiotics, but not for other hardware.

good luck with your appt.!
  • My Surgeon said only needed for 6 months post op, even for a cleaning. So, I take it one time, no problem.
  • I was put on the "1 year" plan for antibiotics and dental work, but since I had surgery again basically just past a year later, got bumped for another year. I think (me thinking here as I couldn't get a full answer) is that some believe it can take a year for a full solid/hard fusion - hence open still to a bone infection? Dunno, but 1 year works for me.

A co-workers hubby had both hips replaced, he was told the antibiotics before dental - life. So maybe it is something relative to the hardware and its effects on the body? Shrug.... Take care all. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.