Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Venting, I think I flunked Pain Management.

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Management
I have been going to PM for about 4 months now. I have tried ESI and MBB there to see if I can go for a RF Abalation. Neither procedure gave me much relief. I have been dealing with my multiple whole spine issues for several years now and I am tired and it is getting increasingly difficult to work and have any kind of life. My PM just emailed me and she feels injections aren't going to help my condition. She has given me 3 options surgery consult, more PT or discuss changing my meds to improve pain control. At this point I think I am going for all three options. I have tried MANY things for 4+ years including PT, surgery, acupuncture, injections, many different meds, patches and combinations of meds. Has anyone tried other procedure at PM? Any more ideas?
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• If you have a great PM dr there noway to flunked him or her. But you really need to do talk to her and work on a game plan to get better. Just tell her where it hurt and what you are going thru. Ask her what she might think might work. It will take both of you to ask right question. I am sorry to see you in pain.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    that when all conservative treatments are not helping relieve some of the problem.

That does become a problem. I was at that point back in 2007, because everything that we tried and repeated really did not make enough of an improvement.

Now keep in mind, surgery was not an option to help with my thoracic condition only because of my spine's total instability due to numerous Cervical and Lumbar surgeries, plus untold flare ups.

At that point, I just sat down with my doctor and told her that nothing was working and IF there was anything else. I told her that it was not a negative reflection on her, but everyone has their limits.

We worked together and come up with the Deep Tissue Massage therapy and Osteopathic treatments.
    The Deep Tissue Massage basically saved my life. Instead of being bound to a walker, cane and who knows what else, I have now being able to do a lot more.

N, my advice is to sit down with your doctor and has out all and every option. Even looking those non-conventional treatments. if your doctor can not provide you with any more suggestions, then you may need to find another doctor to work with.

I believe the doctors do not want to fail, so when they find a situation in which that they can not help their patient, they look at it almost as their failure and will beat the doors down to find something that works.

In the end, surgical intervention may be your only option. But that is something for you and your doctor to work out.

Then, what is most important is for you to identify you current medical status and what you view as an acceptable "quality of life" environment.

Good luck, as frustrating as this may be, never give up, never allow your doctors or anyone else to give up.

You know what your end result, your objective is, no one can tell you what that is. Its you working to reach that goal.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for the pep talk. It gets so frustrating having to put up with this. I emailed her back and said I choose all three options. She is setting me up with a NS consult. A new PT and an appt. to discuss better pain control. Part of the frustration comes from several of the conditions I have are not common. I guess that makes me an unique individual. I have started to go to a teaching hospital clinic where they seem to be more informed. I think I am a challenge for them! Thank you for being here. I haven't been active here in a while but it is reassuring to know that you are here to lend some advice.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • Nancy,
    This is a position that we all endure, that at times nothing seems to work and we only have a finite potential of things that may improve our condition or may enable us to cope more effectively. It is understandable that in seeing some things have not worked we perceive that includes every possibility, we already had the expectation that our diagnosis and improvement would have been acquired and it comes as a disappointment to find here we are with no real progress.

The best possible option it to find a multidimensional approach and keep changing in the quest to find that illusive recipe, it is not the same for everyone and no volume medication strategy will provide the improvements we expect.

We are all a challenge and the expectation that our pain should and can be managed to an acceptable level is a reasonable objective and not always attainable. For the most part injections are only a temporary reprieve and do nothing to address the origin of the pain and only deals with the symptoms. Even with the knowledge of the precise origin it is not a simple process of repairing that status, for some it is not achievable and that is a shocking and upsetting revelation.

We all need to be open and receptive to new idea and have some confidence that this will bring about the projected improvement, all failure brings success nearer, it can sometime be a lonely road find what works just for you and what does not, it takes time and commitment, it is never easy.

Be kind to yourself, pain every day is not easy.

• It sounds like you are getting comprehensive care, and hopefully the NS or PT consult will have some more options for you. I don't know if this will be helpful for you, but I'm a research nut and am always looking at non-invasive methods of pain control to supplement what my doctors do for me. It sounds like you've definitely been doing some of these, but my hope is that seeing my list might give you some other ideas of things you can try as you continue to work on an effective pain management plan. For me, just having a list gives me security because it gets frustrating *waiting* for doctors to come up with a good plan, so at least in the meantime some of these may help you control the pain.

Non-invasive options: TENs, Physical Therapy, Acupuncture, medical massage, yoga, chiropractics, hellerwork, rolfing, alexander technique work, dry needling

As far as more invasive I would *highly* recommend looking into trigger point injections. I have not had any luck with nerve blocks or ESIs, but I do get excellent relief (although usually only a few weeks) with trigger point injections. I would definitely ask your PM doc if this is something you could try.

Best of luck. It is frustrating trying to figure out an effective plan, but it sounds like you are on the path to getting a plan in place.