Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best Meds before starting PT for Spondy

JennMiddle26JJennMiddle26 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Medications
I'm in the first grade of Spondy, it's not much but my body has defiantly responded to the pain and the Sciatica is daily with no relief. I'm in so much pain daily that i'm nauseous, no appetite and no desire to go anywhere. I am on stelactin (muscle relaxer) and Ibuprofen. Is there anything I should ask for help in pain management with my condition? Some doctors believe that what I'm experiencing is "normal." However, I did not have these horrid problems with pain several months ago. My poor kids suffer because I can't do anything, I can barley pick up my 9 month old son and my 3 year old knows she can't be picked up anymore.
Is this normal Grade one Spondy?

The more doctors I talk to, the more I'm confused, I've started to log everything because not one doc is making any sense.

• I had horrible symptoms when I had Grade I spondy. Finally the only answer was fusion. I am not back to normal, but soooooooo much better than I was. Read all you can about this condition. Treatment of choice is fusion. Hope you get some relief. I think you need a stronger pain medicine and maybe a nerve pain medicine as well.

Best to you,

• Did you develop your problems while pregnant? I gather your pain has recently increased? The severity of the slippage does not necessarily correlate to the amount of pain one experiences. So just because yours is grade 1, do not minimize it or let others tell you it is of little consequence.

Do you know if your spondylolisthesis is unstable? Sometimes one vertebrae will be slid over the top of the adjacent one but it is stable and does not progress.

Often what happens is that the situation results in stenosis, often foraminal stenosis which results in the sciatic-type pain you feel running down your leg.

Unfortunately there is not much to be done about the condition other than fusion, as Marianne mentioned. You can put it off as long as you can deal with the pain, and no one feels permanent nerve damage is occurring from the nerve compression. I put up with mine for about three years before finally accepting that I needed surgery. I kept thinking there must be some other new procedure that would resolve my problem. The nerve pain just got worse and worse until I could not walk more than about a half block and couldn't stand for more than a minute or two.

It is important to go through physical therapy to find out what is really going on. It could be that some of the pain is a result of the changes your body went through during your pregnancies, and that when the ligaments return to "normal" you may be able to get things to move just enough so that the pressure comes off the nerve.

Have you had any steroid injections for this? Sometimes that helps to knock down any inflammation that might be pushing on the nerves.

You might ask your doctor if a nerve pain drug like Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica might help while you are undergoing PT. Otherwise, there really isn't much that helps with sciatic pain.

Good luck and let us know how you do in PT.

• I can totally relate to your post. I am in a very similar situation and still question how the lowest grade of spondy can affect my life so dramatically. I don't know if it is normal, but I can say that in my case, the pain is significant and constant.

For meds, I take Tramadol and Neurontin (Gabapentin) for daytime relief. Of course they do not get rid of the pain, but they do help without the nastiness of narcotics. Unfortunately, Tramadol keeps me from sleeping if I take it after 4:00, so I have Norco for night time relief.

Close to a year ago, I was having a hard time walking or standing or even sitting for very long without terrible pain. I wanted to exercise, but couldn't. The doc had me on Vicodin which I could not take during the day because of my work. He then gave me Tramadol and sent me to PT. After 8 weeks of PT, I was able to start walking my neighborhood and by Thanksgiving had walked off a bit over 40lbs. I still struggle every single day, but the PT and Tramadol got my back on my feet when I was at my worst physically.

Good luck to you. Hopefully the PT will get you over the hump and improve things for you also. Let us know.