Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe burning upper middle back with pain

kellstarzkkellstarz Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
hello, i was recently in a rear end collision 6 weeks ago, i have been experiencing severe burning like a cattle brander is being held to my spine in my upper middle back between shoulders. i am seeing a dr and just had MRI, the result was a spurring of vertebrae at C3/C4, when i had dr appt he did not even bring this up at all just stated he was looking specifically for herniation, i checked the form he used to write up mri and it showed mri for cervical only, my concern is i have showed him multiple times where the burning and pain was, do i have the right to request a mri for correct area? also what is spurring of vertebrae? i am the type of person who when i am at dr's i am quiet and dont really ask questions i rely on dr which from now on i will speak up, any advice??? also what could be the severe burning and pain also 2 of my toes are numb as well, also pain that radiates into my shoulder down my arm to tip of middle finger, i really need some advise, thanks :)

• also mri report says "loss of cervical lordosis" i am a 29 year old female
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. :)

The pain that radiates into your shoulder and down your arm is from a nerve in the cervical part of your spine. Depending on how far down your pain is between your shoulders, that could also be from your cervical spine. What I'm saying is that the MRI of your cervical spine was warranted but maybe your entire spine should have been checked. The numbness in your toes would seem to be from your lumbar spine but if you have something pressing on your spinal cord in your neck, there could be any variety of symptoms show up. As for the spurring of the vertebrae, that sounds like bone spurs. Loss of lordosis means instead of having the normal curve in your neck, your neck has straightened out (I have this also). I believe that can be caused by muscle spasms, among other things, but someone else can probably give you a better explanation.

It sounds like your doctor is looking for the cause of your symptoms but isn't maybe the best at explaining to you what he's thinking. I hope you can get some answers and a solution to the pain you are experiencing. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • First off what did the doctor recommend based on your test results?

The arm problems could be from the c-spine or the top of the t-spine. I had very similar symptoms and the problem was at t1/t2. Luckily the radiologist saw it right on the edge of a c-spine MRI. It just took 6 months to convince the doctors to look there.

You leg symptoms would be from the lumbar spine but could be incidentally related to problems higher up. Often when one thing is out of whack it throws off the rest of your body. Correct the one problem and the rest goes away.

My most important advice is to write down your questions and keep a pain log. Then take someone with you to the doctor and ask questions. If you aren't comfortable with the doc then find another one. Think of it this way - if you don't like the way your hairdresser does your hair do you keep quiet and keep going back or do you speak up and find another salon?

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.