Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why did I walk in here, I can't remember

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Chronic Pain
It's the case so familiar with me the last few years. It's more the short term stuff. Not so much long term. I can remember paulga starting a thread on this subject quite a wile back. And he along with many others were just terrified by the fact that their short term memory was deteriorating. And I was one of them. but I can't tell you why I walked into the kitchen 10 min. ago. And left because I don't know what I went in there for. You get older and they say it happens with age. But I'm not THAT old. And why do I struggle with the spelling of some simple word. Today I had a small list of thing to do. And I think I spent so much time running in circles. That I got tired And needed a nap. Then went back at it, or forced myself to get back at it. But ran out of time. And didn't finish my small list of thing to get done. When you can't remember how tired is spelled. And spell it wrong a few times, before it looks right. That is scary! Ps. I'm taking less meds than I was taking for chronic pain before the surgery. go figure!
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• This post says it all! http://www.spine-health.com/forum/water-cooler/aaadd Take easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    That really does some most of it up! And as a bonus you've got me cracking up at myself! =))
    Jim :D
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I found that after I detoxed off of opioids, I had some serious memory issues. In fact I was scared spitless when I couldn't even remember what the inside of my home looked like. Over the course of about 2 months I did two things to work the issue. One was acupuncture and the other was reading. I read and studied as much as I could and exercised my mind to get things working again.

So I wonder if it's possible that the decrease in your meds, is effecting you much like the complete detox/removal of narcotic meds did to me.

"C"
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,048
    Jim, I know what you are talking about. Over the past couple of years, my short term memory is down the tubes. In the past, I could depend on just remembering things and never having to write them down.
    Thats no longer true, I have to keep a list of the things I am suppose to do.

My Long Term memory has been unaffected. I can remember things that happened 10,15,30 and 40 years ago.

But ask me what I told yesterday, theres a 50-50% I will remember. I assume its due to the long use of various medications.

However, my wife has a different view....

- Its selected memory just as it is selected hearing when it comes down to family items
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I hear what you are saying. But my problem is I am old lol. Short term memory loss isn't that back To bad I can't forget my pain lol But as long as i got my long term memory I am happy.

Jim
  • God yeah. In my case, the lyrica has made it MUCH worse (it was never good to begin with). Very frustrating!

I even told my psych about it and he suggested decreasing the Lyrica dose. But the Lyrica helps so much, I probably will just live with the blonde moments.

I also have a much harder time switching attention- so if I'm doing schoolwork and concentrating on it, I can't answer my kids and go back to what I was doing easily. Luckily they've been pretty understanding.
  • Thank you for making me feel better about my short term memory issues!

Just this morning I got a message on my phone from my neighbor telling me I don't have to pick up her son today. Huh??? I checked my caller ID and sure enough, she called last night. I don't remember talking to her!

If I don't write it down, it will be forgotten. As for walking into a room for something and forgetting, that happens constantly. I usually remember once I've left the room.

It seems to have increased since taking Flexeril. I think I'll ask my Dr. for a different med, if I can remember to!

Charry, that post you mentioned I've seen before but it was for Moms, same thing, just with diapers, sippy cups, etc. Most of my days seem to go like this.

I feel better knowing I'm not alone.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Ron our wives are like that aren't they?
    "c" you may be on to something there! I did cut back very fast. I didn't feel any bad withdrawal effects so cut back further. A couple of years ago I blamed it on the cymbalta. And detoxed off of that. But I've also always blamed it on being anesthetized so many times and for such a long amount of time for each surgery. And I had 5 in 4 years.
    I told my pain psych. that after this surgery, It seemed to have reversed itself. But that didn't last long.
    So now not only do I have post its all over the house. I have different colors too! 8}
    Jim
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.