After my 1st Discogram, I was EXTREMELY worried about having a 2nd, however since I have moved (from MI to FL) & have found my "Prince Charming Doctor" (lol), I went ahead with it. NOT NEARLY as bad as the first was. I was given Versed as soon as the IV was in place and the small bag of antibiotics was administered (I have anxiety issues and was chewing my knuckles, as I always do when anxious). The Versed helped me chillax some yet kept me completely coherent. Finally they took me into the procedure room, which was more of an OR setting than my last PM Dr's set-up. I was then administered more Versed, and then right before the Dr began the Disco., was given what I believe to be Propranolol (doing hospital rotations in the past for my Paramedic, I recognized the bottle & the milky color). This stung as it went in for a few seconds, and I was completely relaxed after that-again, still coherent, but not so worried. There WAS a lot of pain in all 3 discs, but 1 was MUCH worse than the other 2 (I believe the Dr said it was L4/L5). Afterward, whist in recovery, the Doc came in to see me and said he definitely found a tear in that disc because it took twice as much fluid injected before the pain was recreated, which told him it was leaking due to a tear. I was immediately sent for my CT, and while I haven't yet been able to pick up the CD of the images & the report, the tech that did the CT said it was blatantly obvious to him that there was, indeed a tear. (Doc that did the Disco. gave me 2 pix of the discs with the contrast in them...boy do they look messed up, esp L4/5 & L5/S1)
I've been in a LOT of pain ever since-the weird thing is that when I move, it now feels like "popping" in my back, almost like bone on bone-I dunno if that's "normal" for you all, but to me it almost feels as if that disk is now completely flattened, but I'm not gonna get all worked up over it yet.
I have an appt with Dr on 3/31 for my surg consult-he wants me to have surgery right away, but with my son coming for spring break, and my parents going away on a cruise, plus my Remand Hearing for SSDI/SSI on 4/8, I asked him if I could wait until after 4/9 when my parents are back so they can be with me in the hospital-Dr said "you can do this whenever you want to honey, no pressure, but I wouldn't put it off too much longer). My goal is to have the surgery in April so that when my boys are all here in FL for Summer, I'm not stuck doing nothing but laying in bed/recliner all the time as I have been for so long now. Even if I have to be in a brace, wheelchair, crutches, whatever-I will push my rehab so that I can enjoy the time with my boys while they're here from June-Aug! (He mentioned fusion but not how many levels-my old Dr in MI said I needed L2/3-L5/S1 fused but I don't think I need that many levels, perhaps L3/4-L5/S1, but again, have that consult on 3/31. Will keep you posted)
The Dr was surprised to find a tear because he told me that he expected if there was a tear, especially one as bad as he thinks this one is, that there would be no "good days" as I sometimes have where I can clean house, go shopping (with help, of course), etc., but then again he says to have put up with this plus fighting SSDI for nearly 5 years now-that must be I can tolerate pain better than he thought. Kinda nice to hear considering I think I'm a wimp most of the time.
Anyhoo, I'll keep you posted (as always).
Hope you're all feeling better now that the weather (for most of us, not all) is getting warmer, which always helps me (hence the main reason I moved to FL).
Take good care, my friends! :-)