Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new and have a question

jorebjjoreb Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Everyone,

I have been reading this site now for about 2 months but am just now starting to post.

I had a L5/S1 (left side) discectomy about 3 months ago and have struggled. I still have stabbing pain in my left buttock on occasion and some numbness in my foot as well. I have completed my PT and have a few new aches and pains.

My right hip toward the back keeps getting a burning sensation, particularly after sitting for a while at work. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance. Everyone on here seems to be so nice.

• I assume you have returned for a post-op visit already. What did your surgeon say? Nerves take a long while to heal and sometimes the damage has been done. If you don't get relief soon, I would contact your surgeon for advice.

Best wishes,

• Sometimes after almost any type of spine surgery, there is a period of education for the muscles, soft tissue, etc. surrounding the surgical area. The back is very much a left-side/right-side situation and the body naturally tries to bring everything into balance.

When there is an injury on one side, there is often some compensation on the other side. The muscles just naturally try to guard and protect the injured area. It is not uncommon to then develop some pain on that side.

After surgery whatever had become the norm gets disrupted. It can take awhile for everything to learn its new place in the scheme of things.

Also it could be that the psoas muscle has been stretched during surgery. The psoas muscle is a large muscle that runs from the lower spine, wrapping around the pelvic area and attaches at the hip. It is responsible for much of the walking movement, and hip flexion. It often shortens up and can cause a whole variety of different pains and ills. You might want to read up on it and see if it could be causing some of your pain.

Be sure you are not sitting for too long at one time, and that you are using good posture and body mechanics. Now that you have had surgery, it will be more important than usual. And check with your doctor if there is no improvement.

• Wow Gwennie, thank you for such a well thought out, informative and helpful reply to my earlier post.

I know your signature states that you have no medical training, however you seem to be very well informed. You and people like you are why I joined this site.

Thank you again for your consideration.