Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Toes Curling

miammia Posts: 72
Help, I posted this in other subjects, people reading but no response yet.Please help me,my toes on my right foot are curling, the big toe is going under and the other toes are curling up.I have to hold them.Also the ball of my foot hurts.Right now,they have calmed down a little bit and I don't have to hold them,but the pain is still there.Anyone have any ideas what this is or what to do?Hot water soak,ice,heat?Thanks

• Yep, my toes on one foot curl too. I have extreme cramps in my legs and feet. In my case, I have been told that the problem is due to the damage to my spinal nerve roots. It helps me to lay down with a heating pad on my lower back and sometimes someone HARD massaging my foot or calf. My diagnosis for this is called neuroclaudication or pseudoclaudication. My problem is not in my foot, but in my back causing the foot problems. You might try looking it up and asking your doc about it! :)
  • Thank you so much, honestly I was getting pretty scared,weird huh?It makes sense now that you say it.I have had recent esi's for left leg pain,maybe my right leg is jealous!? heh....Anyway, thank you very much,maybe I can get my hubby to massage my claf and foot after I feed him*Gentle hugs sent your way~
  • I get awful thigh and calf cramps intermittently, but my toes will cramp and curl under more often (including the ball of my foot). It is frequently caused by stretching out my leg (while sitting) to slip on a shoe that has gotten a little too far away. My cramping is supposedly from stenosis but I've herniated a couple of lumbar discs in the past and my lumbar spine is just generally a mess. Nerve compression can result from various causes. It sounds like you're having muscle spasms that don't let up but it seems strange that your big toe curls down and the others upward. I hope somebody else on here can shed some light on your situation because it is a curious one, to my thinking anyway. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • The big toe is controlled by one nerve and the middle toes by a different nerve, so I suppose that would explain why the big toe curls down and the others go up.

How long do the toes curl when this happens? I presume they are not that way all the time, right?
  • That's why my toes curl up all the time! I never gave it much thought. One more mystery solved! :D
  • I never even realized my toes curled until my original physical therapist pointed it out to me. I always wear sandles a I can't bear shoes most of the time, so she always saw my feet. My toes even curl without cramping. Now I try to look at my toes and uncurl them so people won't notice, but they just creep back to that position!
  • EssieEEssie Posts: 1
    edited 03/15/2015 - 10:55 AM
    Hi everyone! I had surgery for ruptured L4/L5 about 8 years ago. I do fairly well pain wise most of the time with only occasional flair up if I ask to much, but I've noticed when I do have the occasional drop foot on my right side the toes all curl under. I am new to spine-health and logged in to see if anyone else had this Wierd symptom

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

This is an old thread, for the best responses and support I suggest you make a new thread, you can do this by clicking on 'Create forum post' on the left column.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My toes and foot cramping got so severe that it broke 3 bones in my foot. I have the daily and told it is due to my nerves being in overdrive from all my surgeries. 8 so far