Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 wk Post ACDF

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone! :H

Just had my 4 wk follow-up appointment on Wed. Everything went great! Going back to work on Monday and I seriously feel like a new woman! :D

Had my surgery one month ago...level C6/7 replaced and fused and removal of 5 bone spurs pressing on other nerves. My pain, numbness, tingling was gone instantly! =D>

Recovery was a little tough the first couple of weeks and my energy level still is pretty low but I feel like I've finally turned the corner. I still have the shoulder blade burning and some muscle spasms when I am active but that is actually relieved by Motrin now. <:P MOTRIN!!

I'm sure all my days won't be good but I actually feel like I can be ME again and wanted to share some positive feedback to those of you still contemplating surgery. I wish I would have done it sooner. 8}

This site has been such a great help to me and knowing that everyone understands exactly how you are feeling helps so much. I've met many wonderful friends here. :X

Just wanted to share how I was doing. Healing Hugs to all! >:D<

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see you are doing so well. Continue to listen to your body's signals and be careful!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • That's great to hear you're healing well. I wish you all the best getting started back to work. I didn't know you could take Motrin after fusion? I'm so happy you're feeling better. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey Tina,

Best wishes with returning to work this coming week. You may have a little additional pain just trying to get back into the swing of things, but sounds as though you will do fine. Try not to be a stranger around here but if you are we do understand. But your story of success can go along way with the newbies contemplating this surgery. Thanks for sharing with us how well you are doing and take care.
  • Really happy for you and hoping that you continue to recover well. Take it easy at work when you first go back - perhaps work part days if you can for the first couple of weeks.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thank you for the post. I am having the EXACT same procedure on 4-1 and it is so nice to hear a GOOD story that someone is having success with this procedure. Taking the time to post is much appreciated by those of us still on the way to the procedure. Hope you keep feeling better everyday. Best Wishes!!!!
  • My Dr said no NSAIDS, they disrupt the fusion process. I wish I could take Aleve, I have feeling that might work great. But I still have Vicodin PRN and tylenol, which is starting to take the edge off. I would double check about the Motrin.

• Well....my first day back at work went okay. I was pretty tired by noon (sure needed my nap!) and shoulders were pretty tight by the end of the day but NO PAIN! Hooray! I think the shoulder blade achiness might last for awhile....but I feel like a new woman!!

I asked my neurosurgeon about the Motrin at my post op visit and he said I could take Motrin or any NSAID'S after 4 weeks post op and it would be okay. He said the Motrin interferes more with the lumbar fusion but after 4 weeks it was okay to take. I did take one at work today but sure didn't do much. Anexia works so much better, of course. I may try a flexeril tonight before bed since I feel like I am having tightness or could be spasms.

Hang in there everyone and remember....One day at a time. Healing hugs to all!!

• That sound like a pretty good day. What kind of work do you do?
    Maybe Aleve would work for you. I think it last longer, and you can alternate it with Tylenol.
    It seems a lot of people have spasms for awhile post op. They bother me late afternoon.
  • Tina, congrat's on such a speedy recovery! That is wonderful that you are painfree and already back to work! Yay! It is so nice to hear success stories!

Take care and keep us posted! Hope you are able tosail through your work week! Shari
  • I was told that Motrin is that good during the fusion process, only acetominophen (Tylenol). But that's my NS. Sounds like you're doing great, I returned to work on Mar 15th and surviving on 1 gram Tylenol every 6 hours. Rarely anything on days off. Good luck!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Advil/Motrin (ibuprofen), Aleve (naproxen), and Aspirin are all NSAID medications (non steroidal anti inflammatories) and in many cases surgeons will tell the patient to avoid these in the first 3-6 months (at least) following fusion surgeries. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not an NSAID and generally allowed, however should NOT be taken at the same time as most pain medications as meds such as vicodin, percocet, etc have acetaminophen/Tylenol in them.

My dilemma right now is I could take acetaminophen instead of my pain meds, but I fear that if within a few hours I have more pain I can't take the vicodin since it has Tylenol it it, I have to wait until next dosage time.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi Gary! I had the same levels you had done july 27 2009 so I'm 8 months out. How are you doing?

I'm good just still pretty stiff. I have none of the original pain. I do have some aching but it's not bad. I'm working really hard to try to get more range of motion. My body still wants to guard.

What kind of work do you do?
  • I am doing really well. Back to work on Mar 15th,4+ weeks after surgery and completed PT that week. I am a 9-1-1 Dispatcher so sit on my &*( for 10n hour stretch! (Can get up and walk around a little. Have some residual soreness in sholders and neck but feel pretty good. One gram of Tylenol every 6 hours gets me through work and rarely any meds on days off. Glad to hear you are doing well also.
  • You are doing so great...at a month I could hardly hold my head up. I have a very long neck so maybe that's why. I'm a fitness professional so I was in great shape before the surgery.

I went off pain meds fast too.

How is your range of motion? Are you guarding? I'm still pretty stiff. If I see folks who didn't know I went for surgery they ask right way...did you hurt your neck? uggg

I'm getting very strong again just wish I'd losen up.