Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cause for concern?

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
I have recently developed numbness and spasms in a new area for me which is the back of my thigh and I also have intermittent aching pains between my legs(sorry). Has anyone had this before? I do have an appt next week but I just want to know if its worth mentioning because I sorta expect to be told it is part of my ongoing back and nerve problems. It's just hard to tell if it's new symptoms or just an exacerbation. Thanks

• Im sorry to hear that you have new issues, I have numbness and pain in my back of my thigh and I also occasionaly have numbness between the legs this is caused by my pinched nerve. If you pain is severe I would seek help soon. Also if you have any urination problems go to the ER as soon as possiable. Let me know what your DR said. Good luck hang in their.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Long before my first lumbar fusion. Those were my symptoms. Along with my knees being numb. Which my surgeon said was strange. But then again, I'm strange!
    Where ya been. I was going to put out an all points bulletin on you!
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I was told that if I get any numbness in the groin area or difficulty with elimination that it was a "see the doctor NOW" issue. However, not sure if that's just because my fractured vertebrae is sitting right on my spinal cord?

Anyway, look up "cauda equina" syndrome and make sure you don't have those symptoms!
  • Actually, I've only had aching pain you-know-where with no numbness there for now. The numbness, spasms, and stabbing pains are down the back of the thigh and it radiates to the top of the foot. So far there is no bladder or bowel problems thank goodness but I will definetly watch out for that.

HB, I'm sorry to hear about your vertebra fracture. How long ago have you had groin numbness and are they doing surgery soon to take the pressure off the nerve?

Hey Jim, sorry for being MIA and thank you for missing me. :))) How are you doing with your recovery? Did those symptoms go away completely? Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to nerve pains- they have a "mind" of their own and send painful and weird sensations all the time.

Thanks for all of your help and advice..
  • No, I haven't had any- they said that because the fractured vertebrae is right where the cauda equina is that it's a concern, though.

• Do you know if you'll need surgery down the road for the vertebral fracture? Are you trying to hold off from it by having ESI's?
  • I don't think anyone knows at this point- as long as I can get by with the ESIs they hope to put it off. Apparently it will be a nasty surgery.

From what I understand the current plan is just regular MRIs to see where things are + pain management of whatever sort necessary. When I start feeling weakness or something that impairs my functioning they will go in, take out the bone spur, and shore up that collapsed vertebrae (but they have to go in through the front).

I'm waiting for spine transplants to become commonplace ;)
  • So nice to see a post from you. How is the pain pump working for you? I hope you have been getting great results. :)

I have felt something similar to what you are describing here, but it never seems to last very long. What happens with me... is it feels like my "saddle" area has fallen asleep? I am able to walk the feeling off, but it is truly a strange sensation!

It never hurts to ask what might be causing this, particularly since this is new for you.

Take good care and let us know what the doc says,

Tammy :)

This discussion has been closed.