Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone; I could post this several places!

BankerbabeBBankerbabe Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Fibromyalgia
I am diagnosed with Fibromyalgia primarily. I started with my Neurologist last June who started me on Oxycodone HCL 5 mgs 2x daily. Almost a year later, I am on 15mgs. Oxycodone HCL 4x daily and 7.5 Percocet for breakthrough. I discussed with her how "this just cant be Fibromyalgia" especially my knee pain. I return to work on Monday, but I was out since the beginning of February. My R leg below the knee was swollen all the way through my foot. I couldnt even fit into my husbands size 11 1/2 shoe, let alone my flats for work (I am in banking). My Neurologist sent me to the Orthopedic Surgeon, who diagnosed that eventually I will need a knee replacement. My knee is moved to the right a great deal. I am only 40 years old so I am way to young for a knee replacement. I also am overweight a great deal, even though I had the Weight Loss Surgery in 2005. I know its because of the WLS that meds dont absorb well in my body. So, I am out of my meds because I took more than I should have, which my Neurologist knows about, but she is on vacation right now until April. Usually we go up if I am having a real hard couple months. Most times, what is prescribed is fine. My Primary Care, or Orthopedic will not give me any meds. Are there other alternatives? I did get a Cortisone shot for my knee and it did wonders for the edema. Its about gone! How do I relax my body in different ways? I also have the classic illnesses that go with Fibro. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, IBS. The Fibro primary areas are my elbows, knees, headaches, forearms and underarms. Sometimes even my cheeks hurt! My R hip hurts from the knee. ANY ANY ANY
suggestions would be helpful until my Dr.gets back...Thanks my friends!

• Sorry to hear you're having pain. I use an infrared platinum heating pad for my knee arthritis and foot and back and it's comforting and penetrates 2-1/2 inches in the muscle and joints compared to only 1/2" by normal heating pads although moist heat Physiotherapists hot/cold packs are good if you can't afford infrared pad.
    Have you tried acupuncture or massage for your leg?

As for weight I have struggled since I was a teenager. Up to a size 2X recently now back to a size 12. Recently I lost 40 lbs and I changed portion size of meals and drink lots of water constantly and eat fruits and veggies and yogurt only for dessert with 2 squares of dark chocolate a day. Have you tried Aqua Therapy in a heated pool with a Physiotherapist?

I also use a cane for walking used on the opposite side of affected leg.. I temporarily used a walker and compression hose to get out for walks as it's the only thing to get the circulation moving. Start slow and go over your medications with your Dr. when he's back. I wish you all the best. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN