Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My house is dirty !!

kk3kkk3 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 5 weeks post op microdiscectomy and am wondering if I could start running the vacumn cleaner. It is a lightweight upright. I also have one of those little electric sweepers. Any thoughts?

• Sorry to be so blunt. :D Vacuuming is a big no no and you should get someone else to do it for you. I do understand how you feel because a dirty rug would drive me mad, and I'd want to get it done like yesterday. Besides, you don't want to risk injuring yourself and causing additional pain.
  • Sorry to disappoint but the dirt is something that will go away by asking a friend/family member/co-worker to come over and do it or dealing with the dirt. That's a HUGE no.

Even if it means you have to bribe them with a favor in the future or a little gift ordered from the internet.

No bending, twisting (which is where Vaccumming falls), or lifting, or sitting too long. Do not do it. Do yourself the favor.

Hint: I've found if you just keep the lights down load and don't look down to the ground, you don't notice it as much.

how are you feeling?

• I am afraid the dust bunnies are multiplying for easter.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I totally understand. Our house was getting more and more dirty. Wednesday some friends who used to live here, but now live in San Diego, said "can we stop by and say hi on Friday?". So hubby grilled burgers and HAD TO finally clean up at least the "common" areas (guest bathroom, halls, etc). With 3 cats the dust bunnies drive me nuts but he doesn't notice. I guess if the house gets dirty again maybe I'll pay friends to come over for lunch again :-)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • While we all constantly talk about no bending lifting, twisting, there are a couple more movements that are just as important -- TO AVOID....

Pushing and pulling are just as hard on the spine...just the movements you do when vacuuming with an upright cleaner.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    invest in those I-Robot ROMBAs.
    We purchased one and it is fantastic! It cleans both bare floors as well as carpets.
    My wife decided to get one so that I do not have to do any vacuuming.
    I have it set so every night "it" leaves its home base and starts vacuuming and when its finished it returns to its home base. Nothing I have to do!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • While I never attempted to vacuum I did use the Swiffer wet mop and thought that would be okay. I did a few swipes and then decided I wasn't going to risk it.

I'm the type of person who cannot relax unless everything in the house is in perfect order. I've had to learn to let that go. I'm able to do some light things, like dusting, so the spare bedroom I've been recuping in is usually spotless. Luckily my husband recognizes my clean freak disorder and makes sure my bathroom is spotless and the floor in my room is vacuumed/swept every other day. We have 2 german shepherds who are horrible shedders to start with but have started their changeover shed this past week so that drives me nuts. He also steam mops for me once a week. I'm also extremely lucky that my mother comes over once a week specifically to help my husband with housecleaning and laundry since he is working full-time and trying to help me out when he gets home from work.

It's hard but I have just learned to live with it and look the other way when things aren't as neat and tidy as I'd have them. Anyone who comes over doesn't really care anyway, so I've let it go. It's not worth risking what I've just gone through.

I like the turn the lights down hint and am going to start using that one!
  • heeheeheehee, keeping the lights down lown is the best advise yet. you made my day :)
  • Fine then,sometimes I just need someone to tell me to smarten up!...This just means you guys can't show up at my house for a visit :)
  • ....since I've vacuumed...! Nope, don't don't don't do it. Terrible for your back, all the wrong movements, even if it's self-propelled...

Go with the low lighting, or enlistment of voluteers, visitors, family...

Seriously, I never vacuum anymore. Others have picked up the slack--& more than "slack" haha :)

• KK3...well you are in luck because not only do I not know where you live, but I also am not cleared to drive.

I am a neat freak and it's killing me. Hubby is doing great at walking the dog, grocery shopping, dishes, helping me cook, cleaning the downstairs, but the upstairs (where I am) is the one that gets short changed...but I am learning to let go. I know if I ask he'll do it but the weather has been nice and I'm otherwise self-sufficient so I figure one of us has to get out....I told him to go fishing! THe dirt will still be here but a nice day for fishing isn't always available.