Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mri finely almost w/contrast ?

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Went to new pt doc for a week he referred me to a new what looks like a real good serg doc works a lot with reherniation and scar tissue problems he wants me to get a new mri ( I think I have been saying that for 5 months) before I see him witch is good because he charges twice what my insurance will pay sounds like the visit with him will last 30 min or an hour (maybe I can finely get some real answers )any way now I have to go to gp-doc to get him hopefully to send me to get mri without and with contrast (crap sounds like a shot in the back ?) me and needles don’t get along :''( ya im a wimp I would rather smack my finger with a hammer than get a shot (once I let my dentist grind out an old filling with no shot) do they give it to you in the arm or back? And ya I know needles don’t really hurt but what about the contrast ? side effects? :SS

• You get a small needle in the arm, you may feel a bit of a cold feeling in the arm, but that's it. No other feelings and side effects are rare.
    Good luck
  • Hiya John, They put the contrast into a vein in your arm, much like having an IV. They use a very small needle, and it is over quickly. The more relaxed you are, the easier it will go. Also, make sure you are hydrated. This will help them when finding a good vein. If you have a history of being a "hard stick" when trying to have an IV, tell them ahead of time and ask them for warm towels to put on your arm while doing the first part of the MRI. This will help. Sometimes the contrast will give you a flushed feeling, or make you nauseated for a moment, but this passes quickly.

Keep us updated. When do you have the MRI?
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • John..2 tips,
    I have had 2 with & without contrast MRIs'.

Tip 1 - Close your eyes before they start moving you into the MRI machine. I don't worry about small spaces but since they kept asking me I thought "hmm, what if I do". So I just close my eyes and keep them closed before going in. I found having one scheduled later in the day is good too b/c I'm tired so I treat it as NAP TIME!

Tip 2 - the needle is very small. Actulaly less painful than IV. It's very quick and you won't feel any pain afterward.
  • Just like everybody said its nothing, just make sure you drink a a lot of water before your MRI, they had problems hitting my veins. Contrast i didn't feel anything, some people can be allergic to it, but its astronically small like less than 1%. But they need it to see better in your back.

As far as shots go I was the same way, I hated them but I got hit by a car literally when I was 18. I did flip over it and landed on my ankle, I was in the hospital for a week. Thats when I got used to shots, just look away from it. Also I tell them, don't do the counting thing. I have a bro thats a doctor. I know their trained to do it on 2 not on 3 when they count to 3. I'm like just do it. If you tense up thats when it hurts. ;)
  • I'm not sure, but I think I had a mild reaction to the contrast. It seemed like it was getting too warm in the tube. The fans were blowing, but it was not enough. I was previously calm, but then started getting antsy and nervous.

It might have been low blood sugar.
    (I had been fasting since the night before)
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks for response every one
    The poking from the needle is not that bad it’s the sharp needle lookin at it or thinking about it kinda gives me the wiles I have watched all during a blood test no big prob in tell they wear done I got light headed and body sweats .
    No date for mri yet I have to go to gp-doc tomorrow and get him to set it up hopefully soon as possible
  • Perhaps the Dr. will give you a mild sedative to take before your MRI. You could ask him tomorrow but you need someone to drive you there. You can also get a EMLA patch that numbs the area you put it on an hour before the test. I do deep breathing and do some imagery and imagine I'm on a beach soaking up the sun. It helps me relax. I never felt any pain from the needle it was a good Technician I had. Wishing you peace and a prayer to get this necessary test done. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I will try to relax I have been thinking mri for 5 months the gp –doc has been saying to soon after surg and the surg doc knows that I am all good because he did the surg
    And my brain say I am good to go but my body say I am better than before surg but something is not good I don’t want to think about another surg
    I have had 4 different pt docs say I need to go back to the surg the pt doc I have been seeing now is trying some thing called the Graston Technique
    It mite be helping my back but my leg and foot are getting worse when I told him my surg docs name he laughed an said I must be all right and I need a second opinion months ago so I do have my fingers crossed that my gp doc will send me for mri after reading the pt report
  • Old gp-doc say it was to soon after serg to get mri (8 months?)
    The new serg doc wants new mri and x rays and old mri and say I should have come and seen him or some one months ago so I got pis#### and fired gp-doc and called the old serg doc to get all my records they asked why I needed them I told them I jest wanted them they will have them next week I think they got the picture I went to my wife’s gp doc Wednesday she set up mri for the next day she could not figure out why the old gp doc wanted to wait longer. her husband has jest been through the same thing micro-d 4 weeks out had worse leg pain had mri and 2nd serg a week later to remove disc chunk from under nerve. she nose my old serg doc she hinted that his head is so big he nose that if he did serg that I am fine so I must be fine and have no pain
    I had mri with and without contrast ya I did not hardy noticed them sticking my arm after laying on my back for 30 min without moving( little guy in my back was mad)
    Ya I got a cd and have looked and compared to old mri some look better and a few look way worse maybe even L4 this time and bright specs wear l5 s1 was last time exploded to me or the next slide looks ok guess I have to wait for the report and new serg doc if it is all ok I guess I am good to go and it dos not really hurt and the old serg doc is right :P
  • John,

it's funny but because I wanted a remote opinion (can't list here) and was considering changing doctors, I got my records. My old surgeon knew he might lose me b/c I was out-of-network but when I told him about the remote opinion, he was super supportive.

It taught me "get you major records" and have them. You never know when you will need them.

I have my
    MRI/MRI Report
    Surgical notes
    Final Assessment
    Xray 1

I'm calling Monday because I realize I don't have MRI Reports 2 & 3. I will ask my doctor next time for a copy of my surgery 2 surgical report too.

Why? I love my current doctor BUT I cannot be guaranteed he will stay around forever AND if he does, he may change hospitals.

Anyhow, glad you are getting them.
  • I was going to get 2nd opinion before my surgery but I went down hill so fast and I could feel my self dieing or maybe to much meds an did not want to wait longer
    Funny kinda looking in records all the ibuprofen I have taken in the last 11 months
    Before disc pop I don’t think I had taken more than 20 in my life and doc visits maybe 20 times not including chiropractor
    Waiting for mri report is making me crasser don’t know if they find something good they can fix it but if something is wrong what’s next