Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Cervical ESI Question

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Injections
My cervical esi (one week ago) is still making my shoulder/arm/hand pain worse. Also more tingling in my fingers. (so aggravating) I'm thinking that means it was at the right place and that the next one will work. Any of you have this happen? My next one is supposed to be April 9 but I'm thinking of trying to get it sooner. Any advice? Thanks

• I only had lumbar injections as you know and I'm even feeling less pain at 2-1/2 weeks out. I also had some bad cramping in my leg a few days ago and maybe it was the nerve waking up? Not sure but hope you get some relief soon. Are you taking muscle relaxers? You may want to call your PM Dr. to see if he may help out somehow.

It may take longer to work for you. My first ESI 2 years ago I felt no relief but the 2nd helped but usually if there's no relief sometimes they don't give a second injection but that's usually up to the Dr. to decide that. Did you have facet joint injections also?

Anyway, I hope another neck person can help you more. I do hope your injection starts working soon for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad your injection is still working. I hope it continues to do so. Do you have any others scheduled?
    I do take Norflex twice a day and Flexeril at bedtime.
    I haven't had facet joint injections but they did talk of trying trigger point injections if these don't work. I'm hoping the next esi will work for me. The doctor did say I had a lot of inflammation so maybe that's why it isn't working yet.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Hope you get relief for a very long time.
  • Hi Debbie,

From what I remember being told, you should be feeling better soon. I had two ESI's before eventual surgery and neither one worked at all. Guess you will know in a few more days if it helps you at all. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Sounds like they got the right spot, just give it time and no I would not suggest rushing the second injection.

For mine the first one did not help at all and the second one I still think he did the wrong bleeping side, but any way you look at it, did not help my pain.

Everyone is different and they always tell you it is likely to hurt worse before it helps, so again, no don't rush the second one, let this one calm down first.
    I'm going to try to wait it out but I'm really hurting here. I've been icing and using the heat pad but it's not working well at all. I'm sending my TENS back because I just can't tolerate it at all. I swear my shoulder hasn't hurt this much since I first hurt my neck ten years ago! Sometimes I can't even raise it up. I wonder if I should call the PM doctors office and tell them about this? I wish I'd had an appointment with them after the first injection to discuss how it's affected me. Do most have a follow up appt before the second injection?
    Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.

• Hi Debbie!
    I had a series of 3 injections - October 9th, October 23rd and October 30th. After each injection I had a follow up with the doc. If the first helped or the first and second helped I wouldn't have had the third. While the first two helped some, it wasn't remarkable. The third injection was given in a different part of my spine (lower) and helped immediately and has lasted so far until today. The pain is not gone completely but it made the difference between my pain being at about a level 4-5 and now about a 2. I manage it with Motrin 600 and I try to not overdo. The doctor had told me that if I needed more injections we could do another series of 3 beginning in March or April. So far, so good. I hope you get relief with your injections!
    Oh! Let me add also that after the first two injections I went SHOPPING. After the third injection I went home and RESTED as per doctor's advice. I think it made a difference:)

DDD, spondy, stenosis and thoracic compression fractures at T11-T12.
    I'm glad that your relief has lasted this long. I wish I'd had a follow up appt if only to discuss what or where exactly he put that injection. I'm glad they gave me the sedation but I can't remember what the doctor had to say while he was doing the injection. Funny how you know at the time and answer questions even but afterwards you forget everything. lol. I did take it easy for a few days afterwards. I made certain of it. I'm hoping for this to work because I'd like to postpone surgery or even eliminate the need for it. If I can get a few months of relief I'd be happy.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I like to hear success stories...I hope to be able to share a success story also.
    I'm afraid this one isn't going to work but still am hopeful for the next. It's discouraging but in a couple of weeks I'll try it again. Might be my lucky day??

Hope you're doing well. You'll have your knee surgery soon won't you?