Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

abdominal swelling

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 weeks post op 360 L4-5 fusion. Woke up this morning with abdominal swelling. It's above my insicion (on the left side)and I would classifiy it as moderate swelling. It's significant enough, that when I look down at my insicion I can't see it over the swelling. This is new. I'm worried! Thanks! Shari

• a doctor sounds like and infection
  • I have a call in to doc, but would welcome advice, please! Don't know if it is a concern or not :(
  • Shari, any sudden unusual swelling is something to get checked out. It may not be anything serious but you don't want to wait to find out. Don't spend time worrying about it until you have something concrete to worry about, but it's a good thing you have a call in to your doc. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Oh my goodness Shari, I am sure worried about you. I hope you got ahold of your doctor and he is fixing this for you. Keep us posted.

• Shari,
    Is it red above the incision firm or warm to touch? Have you checked your temperature??Or does it just look like soft fluid? I know you had all that swelling post op maybe your just having some pocketed fluid drain there. You should still get in contact with your Dr. Hopefully just some fluid accumulation. Your increase in activity could trigger some fluid accumulation. Lynette
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I'm sorry to hear this. You don't need additional things to worry about. If the incision is hot and you are running any kind of a fever. Your Dr. really needs to call you with instructions.
    When that happened to me. He wanted me on antibiotics right away. If he dosen't get back to you soon and it gets any worse, go to the E.R.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I agree with what everyone else has said, and I hope you've heard from your doctor by now.

take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Heya spineys! I think all is Ok. I do have additional swelling. But my insicion looks good, it's not hot, or red. I don't have a fever. My sweet hubby was so worried, he went out last night in the horrible weather and bought a new thermometer just to make sure I didn't have a temp. :)

I think I over did it this week and it caught up to me with additional swelling. I am very sensative to the girth of my middle, so when it is 2 inches bigger, I KNOW it! :(( I hate the size of my middle and have so earthly idea of what I will wear in the pool! My girth is bigger than my hubby's....pls don't tell him that thou!!!

Thanks for all your support. I also started using a tens unit, that wouldn't cause it would it? thanks friends! Shari
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    No, I don't think the tens unit would cause it. But when I over work the inflamed muscles, They get more inflamed. And of course, hurt like hell.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!