Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from surgery!

Hi everyone. I wanted to fill you all in on my surgery and how things went. I went in for my surgery for my left C5, C6, and C7 lateral laminectomy and foramentomomy (C6 & c7) on Weds., 3/17/2010. The surgeon said everything went very well and there were no issues and everything went as expected. I have an incision that is vertical down my neck about 6-8 inches long and it came with 17 staples!!! Ouch! I am in a ton of post-op pain at this point still (as of 3 days after surgery at this point) and they admitted me after my surgery for one day thereafter. Some very positives thus far are: 1) The nerve pain down my entire left side has been corrected!!! No more horrible nerve pain - thank God! 2) I can move my fingers completely again and actually use them! 3) No more intense migraine headache at all hours of the day!!! This one is HUGE! I am so thankful. The only pain - and believe me it is incredibly painful (much more so than my ACDF post-op pain actually) - I am having now is severe muscle spasms in my neck. Since the surgery I just had required them to go into my neck from the back - instead of the front like the ACDF, the doctor said this amount of pain is actually expected for up to 6 weeks because of the neck muscles they had to go through , etc. from the posterior side of my body. I am so glad I decided to go through with this surgery because I am SO MUCH BETTER than I was before. I am amazed that the nerve pain feeling is gone and my migraine pain is gone as well. Simply amazing! I cannot tell you how much it means to me to be rid of those horrible, painful symptoms...I am only faced with now dealing with the pain of this latest surgery - which is no joke, let me tell you. The spasms are intense and unavoidable - BUT ... I'd rather have the pain I am feeling now 100 times over than what I lived with the past 7 months of mu life.

Thank you all for your prayers and support - especially the stories you told me - I learned so much and you guys put me at ease during a time of much stress and anxiety. If anyone has any questions or is going through any type of similar condition that I have/had - or is going through the surgeries I've had - or anything else for that matter, I would love to help anyone and provide any advice that I can.

Thanks so much everyone and Ill be checking in to let you all know how I am progressing and healing, etc. as well.

I had ACDF surgery with bone graph c5-6c6-7 november of 2009.Im not better still in pain ,bad neck head an on left side arm pain ,hand cant control movements, on left arm an fingers.I had an EMG test 3days ago an a mri 3d scan.The doctor told me c7 an c6 badley damaged .I meet with surgen in 2 days ..Im scaried!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good for you. It sounds like the surgery was very successful. I hope the post op pain is brought under control. Now just take it easy and slow.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • all the best for a successful recovery and a pain free life from here on out!!! :D i am so glad SH was a help to you and that you found the support you needed to get you to surgery. =D> now let us get you through recovery... rest well! Jenny :)
  • You are on the healing side now.
    Sounds like you are a glass is half-full person and you already found 3 reasons to remind you that the surgical pain you feel now is worth it in the long run. Take it easy, rest, and stay ahead of the pain.

Best wishes for continued successful and speedy recovery.
  • Hi Lily

I'm so pleased for you!! Do take it easy for now, and I hope you'll be free from the surgery pain soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I found the best way to combat the recovery with the posterior cervical surgery, is establishing a daily routine, keeping record of it and distraction. Good movies, good music, interesting things to read ... anything you can stand to look at, will help those healing weeks go by.

The doc gave me some muscle relaxers and allowed me to use moist heat to combat the muscle spasms.

Really excellent to hear that you have had such great relief from you pre-surgery symptoms! I agree, getting rid of chronic daily debilitating headaches, is way worth the effort!

• So glad to hear you're doing well and that this surgery relieved your symptoms. I can imagine you're in a lot of post-op muscle pain! I had a posterior cervical foraminotomy a year ago next month and I still get aching muscles in my neck if I bend my head forward for more than a couple of minutes--and my surgery was at only one level, with about a 2" scar. You can expect that insult to your muscles to give you pain for a long time, but it's a trade-off you'll continue to appreciate, I'm sure, and they should be able to give you something to help with the spasms. Take care. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Did the Double laminectomy help you any? I have the same problem,L4,L5,S1 nerve root damage in the right leg. In pain all day, can't lay on my right side,can't sit or stand too long.
  • Glad to hear you are on your way to healing! :-) I havent had any back surgeries but my consult is next Monday! YAY! Hopefully mine will be a success like yours is!

Rest and take it easy :-)
  • I'm really glad to hear your doing well, especialy
    taking care of the nerve problem, and your Migraines.
    Sounds like your right on track,my prayers are with you.
  • Zulu297: --> I'm so glad I had the second surgery. The second surgery definitely did help so much! It provided instant relief from my symptoms (i.e. my migraines, my nerve pain down my arm, numbness, tingling, etc.). My surgery was in my neck (cervical) at C5, C6, and C7. I suggest you go through with the second surgery if you need it and are still having problems and symptoms that are unbearable to live with - because believe me...they won't go away! I hope this helps you with your decision - even if it's only a little bit. This is a huge decision you have to make, but the potential for permanent relief is well worth it :-) I am so glad I decided to do it! No one wants surgery, especially a second one, but I wouldn't take it back for anything because I am finally myself again!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I still have some pain, yes, but it is only related to post-operative pain and is not nerve pain. The surgeon said it could take up to 12 weeks to fully heal the muscle. Please let me know and keep me informed on your decision and progress! I hope I was of some help :)

• Johnbh: ---> Thank you for caring. I'm doing well. Still have muscle pain, but no more migraines and no more nerve pain in my arm, left side, neck, etc. and know I am able to lift , grab things with my fingers, and dress myself just fine. I was unable to use my left side at all for 6 weeks until I had my second surgery. Thank God I had the surgery done. As each day goes by, I'm stronger. It's only been 3 weeks, and I was told it takes up to 12 weeks to fully heal.

• Haglandc......>I agree keeping busy helps.I am so glad I had the second surgery!Now its been 3 weeks an I still have muscle pain, but no more migraines or nerve pain.Did they fix you?Do you still have pain? Lilly..=)