Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain from hardware??

hope4leohhope4leo Posts: 200
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had hardware pain since Dec 09 (surgery 9-09) It seems as I get more active the worse the hardware pain gets. I am to the point now of waking up serveral times a night due to this pain. My surgeon talked in January follow up about removing the hardware, in Feb I had xray taken and I am almost completely fuse and she said that since I wasn't a smoker, she was comfortable taking out the hardward at 6 months, in March I went back to her and she released me from her care. I was kinda dumbfounded by this and when I ask about removing the hardware, she said to wait another 3 or so months to see if I can just get past it. Does hardware pain get better? I have no future follow up appointments??? My Worker Comp adjuster advised me to make another appointment to see her in June as my surgeon turn in 2 reports to the workers comp insurance stating that the hardware needed to come out. Any thoughts??

• Are you positive whatever you are feeling is from the hardware? If so, why?

If you are reasonably sure your problems stem from the hardware, do you know why? Is something loose or broken?

I guess I would try to learn as much as possible about these possibilities/variables before forging ahead with hardware removal surgery.

I don't know statistics on this procedure, but anecdotally, from people on this forum, it seems like most people are disappointed to learn as the months go by, that hardware removal did not produce the desired results.

You ask if hardware pain gets better. I would guess that it depends why there is pain. Sometimes with thin people, they are aware of it at the beginning, but gradually the surrounding tissue toughens up and the pain is reduced...ie, the body gets used to it.
    If the body is actually having an allergic reaction, which is not very common, then I would assume the body would continue to reject the hardware. If the pain is caused by a mechanical problem, it would not get better.

Have you had a "hardware block?" That might be a place to start, if you have not had one yet. I would think you would want to maintain an ongoing relationship with the surgeon until this problem is resolved.

Good luck.