Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hmmmm-fellow spineys-stopped hydrocodone today--uuuughhhhhh

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well,I ran out of hydro and decided not to ask for a refill.I am 10 weeks post-op,and really it is just soreness,not pain.BUT-I did not realize I would feel so miserable!The hydro really helped my arthritis too---I have been on this stuff almost a year-when the Second Fusion-the tory continues-started.This past week we have had several days in the 70's.Yesterday it was in the 30's and we received 2 inches of snow.Bad time to stop!!!Yuuuuuk-just wanted to vent

• Darn weather messed up what seemed to be a very good plan. Worst case, you ask for a refill and try to take less. Best case, the weather turns for the better and you just vent your way through this rough patch....either way, you are brave for trying to ween off! Good for you!
  • That's what we are here for. :)

I hope the weather forecast is looking better for you this upcoming week. Those bad weather days truly make the arthritis pain miserable. Are you allowed to take any OTC medications to help with the arthritis pain?

As Dnice said, you could request another refill of the hydrocodone to take for any flare-up's you might have in the future.

You have been doing great and I wish you continued relief along the way, Jeanie.

Take good care,

Tammy :)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    :W Sounds like Tammy wants too take my good weather that she sent me. And send it to you. What a traitor!!!
    Good luck, Jim :''(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I could never take away your beautiful weather, Jim. You need to bask away in the sunshine and sashay your way around the neighborhood. Ahhh... such a good feeling! :)

We just need to share our sunshine with Jeanie. I'll figure out a way to get Mr. Sunshine over to Texas and warm her achy bones.

P.S. I'm going to need my white feather boa back in a few weeks, Jim. No rush right now, just by the end of May? The kids will be spending the summer with their father, so the house will be free for Mike and me! Woo hoo! :)
  • Awe Jeannie, I am so sorry you are hurting. When I read your post, I gasped! You are so brave to not get a refill! You are my hero! I can't imagine the day of not having to take something for pain.

That nasty cold weather definately takes a toll on our bodies/joints. I know I felt it all the way down here, it was 34 degrees down here last night!

Hang in there my friend! Maybe refill and just take half of one if you need to! Vent away, we are all here for you! Hugs xxxxx Shari
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    She's such a good girl. Until the kids are gone! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • thank you my friends! 1:30 in the afternoon-I am already drinking beer!I have been taking Aleve-I jumped the gun before the 3 month mark-so far that isn't working very well.It helps so much to have your support!--I will get through this--I truly think if it was warm and sunny today it would make it better---ok-on to the next beer-I LOVE you guys!
  • Yumm, beer sounds great! So does a margie with a bit of mexican food! Enjoy your beer and the day! Shari
  • Tex,

If your script hasn't expired and your doc is ok with it. I'd refill and use as needed. I still have some hydro left. I take 1/2 of one on a bad day to take the edge off the pain. I don't need to be medicated into numbness. Oh I wouldn't wash them down with beer though. I prefer Martini(s)... LOL... ;-)

I also wouldn't recommend Celebrex to someone I didn't like. Look on the list of top 10 meds doctors say they would never take themselves. Celebrex is right up there. It's had lots of controversy. Very popular handout by docs for arthritis. Very expensive. High copay. I tried it when I first started having pain. Gave up on it and went back to Advil. Cheaper and same effect. You should work it out with your doctor and not "name drop" drugs that someone on an internet forum told you...

Good luck.

• That is my real motivation for getting off these prescribed meds. Sometimes I think a glass of wine might just do the job, wishful thinking? lol
  • I really do miss having a beer and cocktails.

I am so happy for those of you who can start indulging again! That is a huge accomplishment. :)

Hope the aches go away real soon and better weather days are in the forecast.

• I agree Colleen, beer, wine, margies~it all sounds good! We all need to get better quickly so we can go party with Jeanie!

Since my surgery, not only have I not had wine, I haven't had coffee or diet cokes also!! ugg! I need to have soom fun! Shari
  • Hi Jeannie

We're just the opposite here in Perth where we've had our hottest and driest summer ever, so you're welcome to some of it. I guess I've been lucky with my recovery because I've been able to get out for a walk each morning.

To tide me over for pain after physio or from just doing that little bit too much, I got another script from my local doctor for oxycodone. I cut the tablets in half and only take them when I absolutely have to. I'd get another script of the hydrocodone to tide you over.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Why no coffee or diet coke, I did not get those restricitons. I don't drink cofee, but tea, was that on the list of NO NOs?
    If you drank Starbucks you probably have saved a fortune.
  • Not2Happy said:
    Why no coffee or diet coke, I did not get those restricitons. I don't drink cofee, but tea, was that on the list of NO NOs?
    When I was first looking into fusion the ortho I was seeing who did my microD. He said smoking was a massive no-no. Next at a much lower level would be caffeine. He just told me cutting down would be good. So coffee, tea, chocolate, etc... Caffeine dehydrates you. That includes, to a lesser level, your discs.

The neuro who just did my fusion wasn't too concerned about coffee. He refused to do surgery on smokers.

• Yes, sometimes we do not realize we have pain in other parts of the body or even spine, until we stop taking a particular medication.

I never felt Lyrica was helping my pain until I stopped. Then I realized it had been masking all the lesser pains. My "major" nerve pain didn't really seem a lot worse, but I suddenly discovered I had lots of other smaller nerve pain sensations in both legs.

Have you ever taken Celebrex? It might help you all-over...but I don't really know if it is any better/worse for you long-term than hydrocodone.

• Hi: I know how hard it is to get off these darn meds. Especially if they are a narcotic. I have avoided these for many years and have had good results with Ultram (tramadol). It's non-narcotic, non-addictive and does relieve swelling and pain. 3 times a day does the trick (100 mg. each time). A pain Doc told me that I had to spread the doses out during the day and to make sure that I took the last dose just before bedtime so that I would have enough of the med in my system for the night. It has always worked for me.

Hope this note helps yoiu in some way....good luck. Marsha
  • yes Trish,please send some of that hot sun!!!----I was offered Celebrex,and I turned it down--I will be ok-it will just take a few days-if I refill the script,I still have to face the day I quit taking it-but it is a good idea to wean off.What was I thinking!!!Also,today was the first day I went back to substitute teaching--so when I got home about 3 I took a bath,drank a beer,got in the recliner,and fell asleep for about an hour.Like the hydro,the only way I am going to build up my stamina is just jump in and do it!!!But,I do hope I am not called for tomorrow.----Jay,if I couldn't have coffee or coke,I would go over the edge-how do you do it?
  • I can't believe how great you are doing at 10 weeks post op. Where did you have your fusion and what type was it? I wish I did as well as you. Anyway, there is no rush when it comes to healing from spinal surgery and if you need a Hydro here or there for the pain, that is absolutely just fine and don't feel bad for having to take one. I do admire that you are weaning down on pain meds and even managed to go back to work. Just be careful and rest whenever you have to. Take care
  • I know it had some effects, but I would't think a cup in the AM to wake you up from drugged sleep would hurt. I hope not, my caffeine intake has increased as I try to stay awake during the day, or else I don't sleep as well at night. It not much, but I don't think I could do without. Chocolate, yes, the meds ruined my taste for it. Maybe I shouldn't wean myself from the meds until I am 10 lbs lighter, wish I could LMAO.
  • Honestly, my absence of caffeine was truly by accident. I was so sick in the hospital and my first days home, I didn't even think of it or miss it. It wasn't until about the 2nd week that I remembered. At that point, I deceided to wait until I craved it or it started tasting good. I can't believe I don't want any, I'm sure I will as I get better and stronger. I definately think I will be drinking some when I go back to work~although the kids will be getting out of school for the summer when I go back to work. That will help me ease back into my old/new routines.

I still think we should plan a party at Jeanie's house! :) complete with boas and red ruby slippers
  • Yes,red boas and red slippers!Thank you,Mey-I caved and ordered a refill for my hydro.Geez,I am miserable!I was called to sub today also,but no could do!!!I had an anterior/posterior at L4-5,and he also restablized the L3-4 where I had a fusion 2 years ago.Even though I am doing well,I have to realize I am not Superwoman!I also know part of the problem is the hydro withdrawal,and I hate that---just going to put some red lipstick on,and break out the beer---yall come on over!we can sit on the back porch and watch the goats and donkeys eat hay.I lead an exciting life
  • your life sounds so peaceful! I would love to sit on a patio in a rocking chair, with a beer/margie, and watch the animals.......
  • it is-I love our little farm.
  • Jeannie, Ladies,

When you get bored with sitting on the back porch, in your boas and red slippers, watching the farm animals.

I highly recommend this. You need a driver though to drop you off and pick you up. Take a hydro, perc, whatever with favorite beverage. Go to a large, all in door mall, and just sit on one of the benches. Then watch all the mall animals go by. There's some really strange types in those places that I don't even think have been logged in the gene pool... roflmao...

• I love it!!!!I avoid the mall-when I go to a store at the mall I use the outside entrance--but what you suggest sounds mightly relaxing!I must say the small mall in Denton is mainly moms/kids and older folks walking.I probably need to go to a larger mall.Kind of like looking at the peopleofwalmart.com?What a hoot sitting on one of those benches with a margie in one hand,and high heels and boas on!!!!!