Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bruised Lower Spine?

cornellian12ccornellian12 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure this out. So for some reason my lower black is really messed up which is frustrating because I go to the beach a lot and am in college. First, I have these horizontal red lines going across my lower back which I can only assume to be growth marks. Is there any easy way to cover these up or get rid of them?

Also, I have this black/brown bruise that goes down literally a 1/4 of my spine that has been there for years. The skin there feels weird and I can't understand what it could possibly be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Anyone? I guess the generalized question is are permanent bruises common? How do I get rid of it?
  • Red lines...do they look like 'stretch marks'?
    As for the bruise marks...I would go to a doctor, especially if you are achy/sore to the touch. To me that may be a sign of internal bleeding but it may also just be skin discoloration.

1 - start with your primary care physician. Have you had a physical recently? It's worth going and discussing these concerns with the doctor.
    (If you are in college, I'd stop in the medical center at the school if you don't have insurance.

2- otherwise maybe contact a dermatologist to see if it's skin discoloration.

3 - if it's sore to the touch, that would concern me and you should see a doctor.

Do you workout alot?
    I think I read somewhere that people who workout can have blood vessels break which gives the appearance of skin discoloration. To me if you have a bruise for more than a couple of weeks, time for the doctor...it means something is not healing or at a minimum you need to confirm nothing more serious isn't wrong.

• It's weird because I don't feel any pain with it, and it really does look like a bruise, though I suppose it can be skin discoloration...are there any easy cures to skin discoloration, or are they expensive/surgery?

I've really just started to workout, so I doubt it has to do with that. One thing I actually thought of is that I used to be really skinny, to the point where my spine used to stick out a little in that area...however, now I am a normal weight.
  • Hey there...not sure if folks here will have as much personal experience with dermatology issues but you never know.

You are at a point where you need to decide if it's worth seeing a doctor for medical concern. Not worth stressing about so if you have insurance, go to the doctor and have them check it out just to set your mind at peace about medical problem.

If it's just 'cosmetic' and you don't like it, I'm sure a dermatologist (skin doctor) can offer some suggestions.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.