Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hydrotherapy and pain

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Management
I have just been for hydrotherapy, it felt so good to be in the water.

But I felt I was being asked to do too much too soon,
as I tried to get out of the pool I had such a sharp pain in my lower back.

I had to be helped out of the pool and to the changing area, the drive home was not good.

I am in a lot more pain, gone from 5 to 8.

Cant even stand up straight now, what to do ????????

• When was your surgery?

There is such a fine line between pushing just enough to challenge the status quo and doing too much. Often, physical therapists are not as sensitive to that line as I think they should be.

It is normal to be sore after any type of therapy, but it sounds like you have crossed that line.

How many times per week are you going for therapy?
  • I'm in hydrotherapy or aquatherapy right now and I am just checking on you to see if your pain has subsided yet. I also feel much better when I'm in the water but when getting out, the pain and gravity does hit you. It's normal to feel sore even with this therapy but not prolonged pain. They also should not push you into doing too much too soon and only go at your pace. If something hurts, it should be stopped immediately. No pain no gain is not the mantra where I go to for my water therapy. Anyway I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care
  • i am feeling better today, i used ice and heat and went to bed for an hour, really stiff today and i dont feel right but im a lot better.

it was my first session for hydrotherapy so i guess i just did too much, i have accupuncture on friday maybe that will even things out a bit.

Gwennie, I have not had surgery, im still considering it as an option but trying all other routes before i make that decision.

i have just found out that i have fibromyalgia as well as the other issues with my spine, i must say i was very pleased with the results of accupuncture but feel that it was all wiped out yesterday with the water treatment.

thanks for caring, its great to know people are here

• hi shirley
    sorry your hydro pt over work you which can happen and you will not realize it because you are in water.
    as was mentioned gravity will hit ya coming out.
    i find for myself i could live in the water..its the getting dressed and in my car ride home that i just scream or cry.
    i also have spine issues and was diagnoased with the evil invisible fibromyalgia by a neuro and rheumo doc..
    let me know how accupunture does for you that is my next try..i can't seem to find one close to me that knows alot about fibromyalgia..
    its hard to do but keep moving ..i found some good water exercise w/fibro at the library..
    i have not been goin to my pool in last wk due to spine issues is getting to legs and i can't drive..but i will be getting back in water soon and even just waterwalkin and very mild movements in water will help..its hard not to over due in water csuse we feel so good when we are in ther..
    speak up and tell you pt what you felt last time..so they can document it..and go slower
    good luck to you and pls let me know how accupuncture does for you..
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.