Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stenosis - treatment in process..problems

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Since I last posted, I saw a pain management doctor at ucla.......I had an epidural on 2/11...I think that there may have been some minor success....I had also continued to do physical therapy stretches until 3/9/10.

On 3/9(tuesday afternoon) I had an flair of severe pain that lasted until that sat morning 3/13........(part of the flair which concerned me a lot was that I was unable to mechanically turn to the left in order to get out of bed)

Also I had another epidural scheduled for Thurdsay March 13th.......on Wed, march 12th, I received results back from a annual blood test from my primary care physician. It showed that my bun and creatine blood levels were elevated...the primary doc thinks that it's due to an antiinflamtory that a doc had prescribed, oxaproxim/600mg 2 times a day(sp), as a result of this blood test my second epidural was cancelled.........today, I retook these blood tests hoping that my numbers will normalize.

I stopping doing stretches from 3/9 until today 3/22...I started doing them again today.

I wonder, if anyone knows the optimim amount of time between epidurals?

Any other comments are appreciated.

P. S. below is another post that I made in 2009

"I am a 66 year old male, generally in very good condition. In August I moved a couch. a few hours afterward I had severe pain in my left leg. Having pain when I stand or walk, in various places below my knee. It is very debilitating. I had been seeing a phyisical therapist who had been treating mostly my hip for the last two months, with assorted exercises. There has been very little improvement, so I went back to the orthopedic doctor this week, who order an MRI.

The MRI indicates spinal stenosis- lumbar. Here are the major impressions.

1.Mild discogenic disease at L3toL5.
2.Focal left parcentral protrusion at L4-L% measuring 3-4mm AP which narrows the left lateral recess and may be affecting gthe descending nerve roots.
3.Severe facet arthropathy at L4-L5.
Moderate to severe acquired central spinal stenosis at L4-l5

I saw the physical therapist today who focused more on the spine.

I just made an appointment to see a neurosurgeon to manage my situation.

I hear from others that a conservative approached is appropriate, continuing with physical therapy, but I have very little knowledge of what needs to be done, or the best way to go about treatment. I am hoping for advise and help by others, more experienced with this at this forum.

What type of doctor should I see now? I'm also interested in seeing an excellent doctor. I live in Southern CA, just south of Long Beach, however I am willing to travel if necessary.

Thank you very much for your help.

66 years old