Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

warnerkwwarnerk Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to this website and wanted to see if anyone has had the Percudyn Surgical screws used on them? I had the surgery 2 weeks ago today. I had a total of 4 screws placed at L5S1 and L4L5. I know there is not a lot of info on this procedure since it is still in clinical trials. I am feeling pretty good so far but still sore. Today is my first day without narcotics and I feel ok but I have not done anything too agressive. I think I am heading in the right direction but I am curious to see if anyone else has had the screws longer then me.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Are you in the UK? From what I saw on the internet I could only find reference to Percudyn in relation to trials in the UK.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • No, I am in the US. Specifically, I live in Pennsylvania. Phase 1 of the clinical trials was in the UK and Phase 2 just came to the US a few months ago. I was the first patient that my doctor did this procedure on and he has since done 3 more. They are hoping this will be an alternative to spinal fusions.
  • Hi "neighbor" :H I too live in Pa.

I can't be of help to you on this subject, but wanted to stop in and welcome you to the boards :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you for the welcome. I wish I knew about this site a long time ago. I am sorry there are so many people dealing with these back issues but I sometimes feel like I was in my own world. I have seen so many different types of drs over the past 9 years, had 5 injections, discectomy, discogram and now my surgery. It is nice to hear advice that others have for recovery and dealing with the pain. I am hoping I hear from others who had my procedure and see how they are doing. It was a little scary being in a clinical trial but my doctors hope this will eventually be an alternative for spinal fusions. By the way, I am outside Philadelphia in Bucks County. Wondering if we really are neighbors.
  • Can you tell us more about the screws? What's different? How is it supposed to be better?

I would love to know more - I've been told I'll have to have another level done in the future so any new innovations are of keen interest to me.
  • http://www.i-spineinc.com/int_percudyn.php
    Here is their link. I like the computer animation under the physican tab and it shows what the surgery entails. I am not a doctor but I did a ton or research on this and sat with my dr many times to discuss. I been holding off on a fusion for 3 years now and my dr called me and said this was wait I was waiting for. Drs feel, and hope, this is an alternative to fusions that they hope will have long term relief (+20 years). Drs feel this way because the implants allow you to continue to have full range of motion. Phase 1 short term results have been excellent and that is why this study was brought to the US for Phase 2. There are some really nice advantges to the actual surgery too. The incisions are very small and you are able to go home the same day, although that was tough due to the pain. I am 2 1/2 weeks since surgery and I feel pretty goood. My dr said it will be about 6 weeks for full recovery but I have been off pain meds for 3 days now. I can't figure out how to attach a picture to this but I will be more than happy to post my xray so you can see what the implants look like.
  • Thanks for posting the link. How many people were in the trial and will you learn their outcomes as well as your own?

2 things come to mind watching the video. I am surprised they leave the taping and seating material there without cleaning it out. Whenever you cut threads into a material it produces loose waste material around the threads. Maybe the spine and nerves are not bothered by this loose stuff. I know when they take out a disk that loose material can cause major problems.

This system appears to allow the spine to move somewhat as it doesn't look like anything is locked in place other then the spacer and screw. I wonder what the constant movement does to the bones over time if this is the case. I'm probably not visualizing it correctly.

I really liked what I saw oposed to a full blown fusion operation.

Good luck on your recovery.

• Thank you for your feedback. I had the same concerns as you. I am in medical sales so I am lucky to be able to speak with many different drs, not just my surgeon, to get their opinions. Nobody really seemed to think there would be an issue with loose waste and said it should not be an issue. After speaking with alot of the drs everyone came to the same conclusion that the benefits outway the risks so I decided to do it. I appreciate the well wishes on the recovery. I will update when I can so I can hopefully help someone else out who might be in the same boat.
  • Hoping your recovery keeps going well. I'd not heard of Percudyn and thank you for the link.

Keep in touch.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi,
    I had a L5-S1 herniated disc pushing hard on the nerve root due to an accident and after trying physio, ostheo, muscle relaxant, etc...i was still in heavy pain, and ended up laying down most of the time to release the pain.
    After 6 months of heavy pain and not being able to move correctly, I decided to visit a few surgeons. Some told me to remove the herniation only, some told me about fusion and one told me about the percudyn system.
    After a few discussions with my surgeon and some of its patients (with the same symptom), i came (very quickly) to the decision that percudyn was THE solution!
    I was 29, sporty, and that is why my surgeon decided that i should try percudyn compared to other solutions.
    So after a few days, i took the decision to go for surgery.
    The day after Xmas 2010 i was admitted in hospital, early morning and had my surgery the same morning. Surgery is called microdisectomy with facet augmentation (percudyn). Came out of the operation room, woke up and started talking talking talking talking...(i guess that's the drugs effect...)
    They took me back to my room and i was (almost) fully awake, still a bit hallucinating tho...at this stage I could not feel anything due to the quantity of drug they used. But strangely enough i was laying down on my back and could not be bothered having 2 screws on my spine!
    The physio lady came few hours later to visit me and asked me if i wanted to go for a walk !!! i said yes and i walked! not a long walk...20 meters...but that was unreal!
    After spending a couple of days in the hospital, i was back home, almost starting normal life again.
    at this stage i could still feel the pain in my right leg, but that was much much less that before the surgery.Surgeon reassured me and told me that it would take some time before the nerves and muscles go back to normal. After a week or 2 and lot of daily physio, walking, and swimming pool, i started to feel that the pain was leaving me for good.
    It has been 9 months since the surgery, I have been pain free (99%) and did not use even 1 painkiller tab!!
    I went back to sport, started Pilates for core strengths and fitness bootcamps for cardio. I feel great, and I am very aware of my back today, and pay a lot of attention to it (sometime too much !)
    I know that we don't know much about this percudyn system, and that's why I thought it would be interesting to write about it.
    theses 2 screws on S1 (supporting L5) really changed my life and gave me my life back !
    Hope that helps...
    Cheers and good luck!
    Sportzman :)
  • Hello all, my name is Pete.

For the last 3 years I've had chronic lower back pain and now it just seems to be getting worse, I've taken the last week off of work and just pretty fed up with it. I'm 34 and now find myself looking at surgery as the only option. I've had physio to try and manage the pain and also had 2 epidural injections which did'nt really help me.
    I'm currently being seen at Charing Cross Hospital and the surgeon has offered me the Percudyn treatment, so just want to know if there are any more people out there in the same boat, and how are people now after undergoing the surgical treatment?

I really look forward to speaking to you soon

• Hi Pete :wave: Most of the people who were asking about this have not updated/posted in quite awhile.

You may want to open your own thread and see if more people can help you that way. Or wait a few days and see if someone else who knows something about this jumps in to help you out :)

I know nothing - sorry.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hey guys,

I am a healthy 34 year old who has played sport all my life, but over the last few years i have slipped L5 / S1 five times, but getting worse each time. The NHS originally threw pills at me (the usual), but I ended up in hospital with internal bleeding. Make sure you take ulcer treatment pills with any anti-inflammatory (if prescribed)! So after countless rehabs and physio sessions I am now a week away from both procedures (Percudyn & Discectomy Surgery).

Can someone tell me how how long you were out for before you could properly move about? How long were you off work for?

Will I be able to shower and get around the house, or will i be properly bed bound?...

Any info very welcome :)

• Hi - I've got a L5-S1 herniation and been recommended: fusion or Percudyn (with or without discectomy)
    Percudyn definitely sounds the least risky. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Percudyn operation
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery