Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unknown reason for back pain

whes7zwwhes7z Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello. I am new to this site, from reading other posts everyone seems so helpful. So I thought maybe I could get some insight on my situation. So my dad has been experiencing lower back pain that radiates to the front groin/abdomen area for over 6 months. He started by going to the family Dr., she said that there was not much she could do and refered him to a ortho Dr., this dr did many scans and xrays with no reason for the back pain. He sent him to physical therapy with only slight relief in pain. Now when my dad goes to the ortho Dr. it seems as if he thinks he is lying. Over the last month my dad has had to go to the ER because of pain. They ruled out kidney stones, UTI,and saw nothing on the CT scan....I am sooo worried about my dad and I am not sure what to do next. So I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same situation. Thanks for listening.

• It's obvious that you love your dad very much to be researching this for him!
    I would probably go back to the primary doctor and ask for a referral for a second opinion.
    Has your dad tried physical therapy or any stretches or anything along those lines?
    Did he have an initial injury or injury in the past that may have brought this on?
    Whilst we will be here to help you and make suggestions we are not doctors so we can't really help with diagnostics.
    But definitely worth a second opinion I think.
  • Ashley,
    Many here live with unsubstantiated back pain symptoms of indefinable cause and for the most part we have to believe the pain patient until we can prove the opposite. Even when medical evidence can be provided to support our claim it is no guarantee of potential improvement, it is an anathema that even in knowing and viewing its origin, the eradication of lifestyle impacting pain is still unattainable for some.

We all hope you get some definitive answers soon.

• Thanks everyone for you input!!! We are going back to the Primary Dr. today...I will keep ya updated!
  • Hi! I hope your dad's appointment with the primary care doctor went well today. You may have already come up with a plan with his primary doctor, but if you are still trying to figure out what the next step is I would highly recommend a second opinion with a physiatrist. A board certified physiatrist may be able to diagnose things that the ortho doc is missing, and even if they can't diagnose the problem a physiatrist should definitely be able to come up with a plan to get your dad some pain relief.

Best of luck. Hope it went well today!
This discussion has been closed.